Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Tuesday Slice: Cartoons, current events, and curriculum

 

Oliphant....Oliphant...why did I know that name?

Oliphant appeared in the "Passage" portion of the "CBS Sunday Morning" show, where they memorialize important and famous people who died the previous week.  

Was it eighth grade, or ninth?  I was fortunate to be in a DoDDS school in Germany those years, with amazing teachers and daily access to "The Stars & Stripes" newspaper.  One of those teachers had us combing the paper each evening for political cartoons by Pat Oliphant and op-ed columns by William F. Buckley, Jr and William Safire.  If any of those pieces were present, we were expected to read and respond to them in our notebooks and be prepared to discuss them the next day.  We were also required to cut out news articles from at least three different continents a week and glue them into our notebooks.

Since the news was constantly changing, and Oliphant, Buckley and Safire were not daily contributors, these lessons could not be planned.  The discussions were not "gotcha" exercises; curiosity about the topics and well-thought-out questioning was encouraged. As a seasoned educator, I can look back and admire those assignments as relevant and timely critical thinking lessons.  I feel like I knew a lot more about world events back then, and at a greater depth.

Did we still cover the curriculum?  I'm sure we did.  I'm also sure that it wasn't as jam-packed as today's scope and sequence, and it certainly wasn't scripted.  Those highly trained teachers were trusted to do what they were trained to do, with their own creative tweaks--like tuning adolescents into the pulse of the world by reading the newspaper each night.  I am grateful for the education I received under their care.


William F. Buckley, Jr, courtesy of PBS


Cartoon by Oliphant, June 1973

William Safire, courtesy of Simon & Schuster

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like the best kind of lessons! By the time I retired in 2022, I missed the freedom I had to plan lessons that I wanted to do….

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could go back to the kind of teaching where teachers were trusted to teach as they saw fit and yet still cover all that was needed to be covered in the course of the school year. Arjeha

    ReplyDelete