Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Thankful themes

I pulled out my 2016 gratitude journal this weekend, and perused the contents, looking for commonalities among my daily entries.  I thought that I could hone in on what I truly value by sifting through what I was grateful for--a metacognitive way to look at my values through gratitude, from the heart instead of my head.  

Here are the common threads in my journal:
  • Time spent with my family
  • Shelter, clothing, and food
  • Fulfilling work, with a paycheck
  • Finding fun in little things, like glittery nail polish
  • Connecting with wonderful people
  • A sense of accomplishment that comes with completing tasks
  • Health, and readily available, affordable healthcare
  • A good night's sleep
  • Good books to read
  • Quiet time alone to rest, think, decompress
  • Time spent outdoors.
Nothing on this list surprised me; rereading this list makes me feel content and happy.  Several of my goals for the New Year align with these values--going to bed earlier, taking care of my health, planning retreats, spending more time in nature. 

I've found my focus for 2017, thanks to the old year's gratitude journal.

3 comments:

  1. Great way to use your journal. I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kept a gratitude journal for almost two decades. It's gotten me through some low points in my life, and it's much less daunting for me than keeping a full-on diary.

      Delete
  2. It's a nice way to complete that old year's journey, and feel good about the one coming.

    ReplyDelete