Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Earliest post ever

1:12 am
on a school night
up for the last three hours
waiting on a flight
that brings home my son

he will be exhausted
has texted
"Can I stay home today?"
how can I say no
sleep is important

except for this mom
who needs to go to work today
who napped 
on the couch after work
for three hours

hoping for two more
after the airport
after the "Glad you're home"
after we all collapse
under one roof again

before my day begins at 5:00 am


(yawn)

4 comments:

  1. Here's hoping your son got home safely and you have a quick day and an early night. It's so hard to get through the day without enough sleep! Also, I love the little parenthetical yawn that ends your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! Yes, he arrived safe and sound and exhausted, as predicted. Coffee in hand, ready to get this day started AND ended!

      Delete
  2. You captured so much in this poem - what's going on in your life, feelings, wonderings. I can picture you going through your day with that little parenthetical yawn. Hope all is well and that you get some sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Truly written from a waiting mom's heart. How many times I've waited for the call that let's me know one leg in the trip home has been completed and the next is on schedule. Nothing better than all "under one roof again."

    ReplyDelete