Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Bad news on the doorstep

I was blissfully busily unaware of national news yesterday.  Mondays are usually my flex day in the library with only a handful of classes, but we had picture day last Friday, so I flipped schedules. Thirteen classes came and went in a flurry of activity, capped with covering a fifth grade class for the last half hour and attending a team leads meeting for another hour and a half. 

I didn't hear a word about the Vegas shootings until I collapsed at home.  My husband filled me in on the details from his computer screen.  He read the president's inane Twitter response; par for the course, pun intended after 45's empty gesture of a golf trophy for suffering hurricane victims.  Our dinner was peppered with rehashing our shared views on gun control, homegrown terrorism, and the need for a better president.    

The doorbell rang; my neighbor, with copies of medical papers I signed for her.  More bad news from her husband's doctor led to tears and hugs.

Is it any wonder that I tossed and turned last night?

My students were better off with an ignorant librarian yesterday.  I focused on my lessons and the needs of my patrons, as I should. I'm hoping I can do the same today.  Maybe a second cup of coffee will help.  Maybe seeing Glennon Doyle Melton and Jen Hatmaker tonight will help.  Maybe singing "American Pie" at the top of my lungs in the car on the way to work will help....if I can do so without crying.



4 comments:

  1. This world. Vegas. Health crisis. Natural disasters. So much to deal with. It is a wonder that we can keep pushing in spite of all that is on our minds. Thank you for sharing. Here's to you making it through the day. And although it can be uncomfortable in front of others, it is okay to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like many other slicers, this was my topic today as well. Thanks for your honest post and the reminder to try to focus on our students in the face of all this sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's extremely tough, extremely. There's no way to try to be okay with these kind of tragedies, it takes time and that's completely okay. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete