Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Celebrate me home

For the past several days, I've been waking up to the same song playing in my head.  
It's a bit annoying, as my mind is breaking the "no Christmas songs until Santa arrives at the end of the Thanksgiving Day Macy's Parade" rule we have in this house. (We also listen to Christmas music until the twelfth day of Christmas, January 6th...but I digress.)

I'm guessing the mental jukebox picked this tune because it's our first empty nesting holiday season, and we'll have both fledglings under our roof come Christmas time--one driving home from college, the other flying in from Japan.  My father and his wife will join us for New Year's Eve--the most family members here since our daughter graduated from high school in 2012.  After my father leaves, we will meet our daughter's Japanese boyfriend as he visits our home for the first time.

There's a homecoming today, too.  I join current and former staff and students as we meet in my neighborhood elementary school to celebrate its fortieth anniversary.  Our daughter and son both attended the school, and because of their age difference, I was an Anderson Mill parent for eleven years before becoming a teacher there for three more.  I have fond memories of the tiny resource room I inhabited, all the while working on my Library Science degree, supported by the principal and mentored by the librarian. I'm hoping to see several of my students this afternoon.

We will be celebrating our loved ones home this holiday season, indeed.  Maybe I'm not so annoyed by the earworm after all.



6 comments:

  1. Your voice shines through in this post and creates humor, but also really touching information about you and your family. Sometimes it's good to embrace the song! Enjoy the special times with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! I am truly looking forward to the holidays!

      Delete
  2. It's funny how life seems to put the music (or words) behind what we need at a given moment.

    Sounds like you have so much to look forward to this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced the older we get, the more we have to pay attention to those connections we collect. It will be a great holiday! Hope yours is wonderful as well.

      Delete
  3. I almost always have a song stuck in my head, like a movie soundtrack of life ... this is both comforting and celebratory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, one summer I kept track of the song in my head upon waking each morning; made for interesting diary entries. May do so again soon!

      Delete