Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tuesday Slice: Sunlight through eyelids

The train rocks back and forth on the tracks
Clickety-clack, clickety-clack
Now fast, then slow
Cli-cke-ty-claaaack, cli-cke-ty-claaaack
The recorded voice announcing the next station

"Next station, Howard.
Siguiente estaciĆ³n, Howard."
The aisle empties, then refills
So tired, I am grateful to be sitting

My seatmate makes no motion to get up
I readjust my heavy bags on the floor
Grip the handles tightly, and close my eyes

We break free from the city, and sun warms the cabin
Orange-red light blinking through my eyelids
As we pass light posts and trees
Now slow, then fast
Clickety-clack, clickety-clack.

****************
I am attending our annual Texas Library Association conference in my home city this year--one of the few times I take the commuter train downtown.  How nice it is to avoid traffic and parking fees!

8 comments:

  1. Love the repetition in your poem, as well as the peace that settles over you as the train heads out of the city. Hope it's a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, and I was very tired at the end--bags heavy with books for our library!

      Delete
  2. Great word choice and rhythm in this poem. I felt as if I was on the train riding with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad my description was vivid enough to "feel" the train trip.

      Delete
  3. Why do I feel that I was just back in time? Or in an exotic locale? I halfway expected you to say you were on vacation; the orange-red light, the warm sun, the Spanish ... the TRAIN. That's what did it the most, the sense of actually being on the train. I kept wondering what would appear next, what exciting thing you were headed toward. A library association conference - unexpected, but oh, an exciting adventure in itself! Hope you are re-energized there and that you enjoy every moment. Love this vivid travel poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a vacation would be nice, but nope, just the commuter train from the far northwest corner of Austin where I live, to downtown--then back again in the evening. Taking it all week!

      Delete
  4. You have lovely rhythm in this poem. It makes me actually want to get on a train! Thank you for sharing this piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trina! It was a pleasant trip. Managed to get a seat this evening, too!

      Delete