Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tuesday Slice: A messy start

Two weeks ago, I wrote about setting big goals before setting SMART goals, since it's the big goals that motivate us.

Last week, I wrote about feeling discombobulated, not quite reaching that relaxed summer vibe educators aspire to in order to recharge for the coming school year.

Since the last post, I started working on setting those big goals, using a planner specifically meant to make you dig through the "stuff" of your life and focus in on what really matters.  (The planner is from the "Cultivate What Matters" website, if you'd like to take a peek at it.)  

It's a bit of work; I've watched five of the six short videos the founder, Lara Casey, made to guide you through the prep work--sixty-seven pages of thinking and writing and filling in sentences, of which I've completed forty-three so far.  I'll admit that at first, it felt a bit self-defeating.  What was really important for me--health, relationships, home, finances, energy--came up time and time again, and I had to face how I was lacking in those areas.

Casey doesn't see the deficits as negatives, though--she frames them as the dirt needed for us to grow and bloom.  It's the old you-need-to-know-where-you-are-before-you-know-where-you're-going lesson, setting the baseline, marking your starting point.

How else are you going to know how far you've progressed, unless you can look back and see where the journey began?

Two of my big goals for the upcoming six months are time management (SMART goal--leave work by 4:45p each day) and health (SMART goals of 7 hours of sleep each night, healthy eating, and exercise).  I think focusing on these and other big goals will have positive effects on my energy level at work--and hopefully avoid the feeling of dissatisfaction next summer.

Educator readers, what goals are you setting for yourself this coming school year?

8 comments:

  1. Love this question you posted, "How else are you going to know how far you've progressed, unless you can look back and see where the journey began?" Once we humble ourselves then we can only improve! It's not easy, but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very unsettling at first, to really look at where I'm at right now...as if I wasn't already feeling discontented! But I think it will help in a few months, to gauge my progress.

      Delete
  2. Holy coincidence, Batman! Were you looking at my notebook today? I was just lamenting that I haven't slipped into a summer groove yet and that I've been feeling a bit discombobulated and unsettled. Yes, I wrote "discombobulated!" I'm intrigued by the work you're doing to set goals and am now off to check out your post from last week and the "Cultivate What Matters" link. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, what a coincidence indeed! I'm still working on those goals and action plans, with the intent of having them completed by August 1st. As teachers, one thing we are blessed with is having our own "New Year" in August to begin a do-over!

      Delete
  3. I also love the question, "How else are you going to know how far you've progressed, unless you can look back and see where the journey began?" You blog makes me think that I need to look at some of my own goal setting and how I am doing with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trina, I found that I was really lacking goals that made me excited and hopeful. I think that's the ticket!

      Delete
  4. Oh my- some really great thoughts here to guide me in future goal setting as well. I have a few more weeks left than you but still need a kick to make some future plans.
    Thanks for the boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! Good luck on your own goal setting!

      Delete