Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Tuesday Slice: Big decision, new beginning


Life in quarantine was moving along.  End-of-school-year plans were being made, speculations about next year discussed lightly but without much purpose with so much unknown.  

On April 30th, my plans were turned upside down.  My neighborhood school librarian announced her retirement, a year or three earlier than I expected.  The school where I picked up and dropped off my children for eleven years, taught and interned for another three years while I worked on my library degree, was in need of a librarian for next year.

I was in shock for the next three days.  I weighed the pros and cons of applying with the library services director, trusted friends, colleagues in other Title I schools.  Other than the hectic pace of serving 1250 students at my upper-SES campus, I love my current job.  My administrators, staff, and assistant are amazingly supportive of my library program, as are the parents and students.  I am completely happy where I am.

And so I wrestled with this for two solid weeks, even as I applied for the position and went through a rigorous interview process.  Even as I was offered the job, and said yes.  Even as I announced, through my tears, my acceptance to my principal and our leadership team.

There are things I'm giving up by taking this job.  I'll miss daily visits (if we ever get those back) with my wonderful coworkers and students I've grown to know over the last seven years, these people who have taught me how to be a librarian.  I'll miss my wonderful assistant, who does her job so well that I can't claim to be her manager.  On a practical note, I'm giving up a spacious library that's only twelve years old, with windows on either side to view the mountain laurels and let in the sunshine, with an adult-sized bathroom tucked into the corner.  My neighborhood school was built in 1977; the library is small, completely enclosed by hallways in the center of the building, with no windows or natural light--and the bathroom is around the corner.

But...I will be gaining a fresh start, a chance to change my perspective, to focus anew on my "why" for being a librarian.  To pay back a little of what this school did for me and my children in their formative years.  To take what I've learned at an upper-SES school and figure out how to make it happen at a Title I campus.  To encourage another learning community to use and love the library as much as I do.  The three-minute commute and smaller campus--550 students--are pluses, too.
 
I've already received a very warm welcome from my "new" campus.  May I serve them well.  

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Changing jobs is always exciting and terrifying, but, as you point out so beautifully, it also allows you to reflect and refocus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrienne! It is a bit terrifying, especially in the middle of the pandemic. Looking forward to the chance to refocus, as you so aptly put it.

      Delete
  2. Much luck to you as you embark on this new opportunity, this chance to grow and give back as you so beautifully expressed. It was a hard decision that you thought through thoroughly - you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I'll feel more ready when I have tied up all the loose ends on my current campus...then I'll be ready to jump into the next!

      Delete
  3. So courageous - something in your heart must have clearly said "this is right" or you wouldn't have seized the opportunity. I am excited for you and I KNOW you will serve them well! Congratulations, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. It was an agonizing decision; I don't think I've had that many sleepless nights in a long time. But resting easier now that the decision is made and plans are being laid!

      Delete
  4. Change is always with excitement and regret; yet, the desire to serve and grow and give back and do what is right for your now....comes through. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I do truly hope I can meet the needs of my new patrons; they so deserve it!

      Delete
  5. Your title completely grabbed me ... and so glad it did. Congratulations -- you will love it and learn so much. It is nice to have something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a one-eighty, but I think it will be good for my mind and heart, especially since this will most likely be the campus I retire from.

      Delete
  6. How exciting for you - and the students you serve. I am sure you will bring about new ideas with a fresh face

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Starting a new job is always a bit scary and exciting. Instead of servicing just your students you will be serving your community. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library can be a wonderful hub, as I've learned over the last seven years. Here's to at least seven more in my new locale!

      Delete