Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Tuesday Slice: SLL/JLL

Trying to come up with a title for this Slice, I realized I could draw from the educational alphabet acronym soup.

I am a librarian for a host of kids who are ELLs--English Language Learners.  I am currently an SLL--Spanish Language Learner, and a JLL--Japanese Language Learner.  The first is out of necessity; I live in Texas, and a majority of my ELL students are Spanish speakers.  The second is out of love; my bilingual daughter married a Japanese man.

This is not my first attempt at learning other languages.  Italian culture class was part of the rotation in my DoDDS elementary school in Naples, and I was in an immersion program at an Italian school in third grade.  I took French in high school (because I was born in Paris, so why not?).  In college, I attempted extracurricular classes in Spanish.  Post-grad, I studied sign language for a couple of semesters in anticipation of nonverbal students in my special education classroom, and more recently, took advantage of "rapid Spanish" online courses offered through my school district.

As an Army BRAT, I was exposed to Thai, Italian, German, and French as we moved and traveled around the world.  

You would think some of it would have "stuck", but other than a pretty good pronunciation of the European languages (that helped immensely in choir), a few choice sentences (I can ask for the bathroom, train station, and dinner in German) and two or three random hand signs...let's just say my foreign language retention is weak, at best.  Even when I have retained a bit, just for awhile, my ears haven't been able to keep up with the rapid speech of native speakers.

The difference this time is a true need, a sense of duty to respect the languages, the cultures of these important people in my life. So maybe, just maybe, my daily Duolingo lessons will help me attain some level of expression and receptive understanding in Spanish and Japanese.  I'm just thankful they are almost completely different; I don't think I need to worry about confusing español with 
ひらがな.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed learning about your journey with learning languages. I believe that intention makes all the difference and you have beautifully named your reasons for learning Spanish and Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about intention leading to success this time; there is more at stake!

      Delete
  2. Look forward to hearing more about this journey! I love language, but I've never been able to stick to my commitment to learn a language in a systematic way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, right now the scope of my learning is limited to Duolingo on a daily basis and occasional practice of Spanish with my students in the library. Still feel wobbly in both languages!

      Delete
  3. TRUTH! "I don't think I need to worry about confusing español with
    ひらがな."
    Great post. You have so many experiences with language! That's cool. I am an SLL too, studying Spanish on Duolingo. I'm retiring in California so I hope to use my English and Spanish when I get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving Duolingo, Denise! Thankfully, they take Japanese a lot more slowly than Spanish, given the different "alphabet" to learn. Good luck with your move to CA!

      Delete
  4. Chris, thanks for your backstory that is fascinating. Your desire to learn is so focused. May your fluency develop so you can address your task with success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Carol, I hope I do gain some sort of fluency. For my sake, my students' sake...and future grandbabies' sake, hopefully!

      Delete
  5. Love the backstory about your journey.
    I've been thinking about learning another language after reading Beginners by Tom Vanderbilt. (Just need to get the courage to jump into something brand new.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, I highly recommend the Duolingo app. The basic version is free, and offers both visual, auditory, and oral practice. And now I have another book to add to my pile, thanks to your recommendation!

      Delete
  6. I loved hearing the "why"s behind each language you are studying. It's one thing to learn a language out of fun or necessity, and entirely another to do it out of love. <3 I loved how you said you feel a duty to respect the languages and cultures of these important people in your life, and I know they will appreciate it so much! :-) (I'm an EL teacher & former Spanish teacher, and this just makes my heart so happy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'm glad I brought a smile to your face when you read my post! I am hoping intent makes the languages stick. I've got to figure out a way to hone my receptive language; I tried listening in to students yesterday as I covered a class, and barely understood a word in their rapid speech. I totally credit my military BRAT upbringing (and awesome parents) for instilling respect for cultures, as we were often the interlopers.

      Delete
  7. My dad told me in middle school that I should take Spanish, as it would be useful; I took French instead because I found (still find) the language enchanting. Daddy was right, though - Spanish would be a lot more useful, especially now in my educational career! Your linguistic journey is intriguing Chris - and your learning Japanese awes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I loved taking French, but yes, can barely remember phrases outside of merci beaucoup, je vous en prie, and je suis fatiguee, lol. The Japanese is definitely more challenging, with a much different "alphabet" and syntax. I am trying not to think about it too much, and instead just absorb the rhythms of the language...

      Delete