Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Tuesday Slice: Backwards morning

 

I'm writing a bit backwards this morning, just to see how it feels.  My normal morning routine is this:  

Get up, weigh myself, head to the kitchen. 
Drink some water, empty the dishwasher, make my coffee.
Meditate a little, write a page in my notebook, move my body a bit.
Refill my coffee cup, read a little, check email and Facebook.
(Except on Tuesdays--after "read a little", I write my Slice.)
Get ready for work.

Today, for some reason, I decided to write this Slice right after "meditate a little".

What have I discovered?

It's much harder to write without prepping thoughts by hand first.
It's much harder to write without the appropriate amount of coffee on board.
It's much harder to write without having moved my body, getting blood flowing a bit faster through my brain.

I still have to write a page, move my body, refill my cup, read, check email and Facebook...and go to work.

Next week, I will be caffeinated, limber, and prepped before Slicing.  Some routines just aren't meant to be changed. 

6 comments:

  1. What a great morning routine! My mornings (during the school year) are too frenetic and I need to slow it down. Isn’t it interesting how changing a routine can be bad or good- there is no neutral. I enjoyed this peek into your mornings and your explanation. Lesson learned for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how changing your routine can impact things in ways you wouldn't imagine. As someone who is perhaps a bit too tied to routine, I also think it's good for me to shake things up once in a while. You also have me considering my morning routines...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how one little change can make such a difference. I love your morning routine. Do you wake up extra early to get all of that in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s good you have established a mourning routine that works for you and you get the slicing done in the morning. I sometimes wait until the end of the day and then I might skip writing altogether. Great that you wrote even without the movement and coffee refill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Told with great wit and truth as always - I'm over here waving my coffee mug saying "Hear, hear!" to it being much harder to write without the appropriate amount of coffee on board. You're so very right about moving your body to get the blood (hence the ideas) flowing in the brain also. Mostly I admire the fact that you have a dedicated routine well enough to know the disruption didn't work! I appreciate how you always get me to reflect alongside you, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Routines have a way of helping us form good daily habits. I’m with you on the morning writing - words flow so much better before the pipes get clogged with the day’s events.

    ReplyDelete