Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Tuesday Slice: Taking a day or three

 

I've been in a funk as of late.  The kind of funk that lays like a mantle on my shoulders, eyelids heavy, the corners of my mouth just a little harder to push up those cheeks that make my eyes smile above the facemask that I work so hard to color-coordinate with my work clothes.

I knew I needed to take a day off, but when?  Checkout weeks are best, when only the littlest students get a read-aloud...and this week is a checkout week.  Two weeks away was just too long after the July workdays I had, followed by a full August and equally full September.  It had to be this week.  So I took a deep breath, texted my local substitute who loves the library, and was thrilled when she said yes.  I emailed my office secretary to put in the sub for me.

Emboldened, I logged into the employee absence site and took TWO more days off!  The library will be closed on those days due to hearing and vision screenings, so I won't even need a substitute.  We'll be coming off of a weekend of helping our daughter and son-in-law move into a new apartment, and this will keep us from rushing back down the highway.

So what will I do on my day off this week?  I'll savor an extra cup of coffee, read a bit, crochet a bit, and finally make those medical appointments I've been meaning to follow up on.  They will lead to a few more days off, I'm sure, but with over ninety days in my leave bank, I'm sure I can spare a few for my well being.

I'm feeling pretty good about these acts of self-care right now...but ask me how I'm feeling after I spend hours on the sub plans.

5 comments:

  1. Your slice vividly captures all the thoughts that occur when a teacher chooses to take a day off. What other profession is like this? Enjoy your day and fingers crossed the sub plan writing goes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read that you are prioritizing yourself. It's just too bad, as Sally said, that so much has to go into it! Enjoy and may this be the start of a new phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you taking those days, but reading this reminds me how difficult it is for teachers to take time off. Still, it’s necessary at times. What happens to those days when you retire? We had separate personal and sick leave days. My unused sick leave converted to an account now used to pay medical insurance, so I tried not to tap from that well any more than necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent self-care! I know how hard it can be to decide to do this, but there is no doubt that it is the shortest path to having more energy. Enjoy this time of quiet and soft.

    ReplyDelete