Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Tuesday Slice: Seed on the path

Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed.

As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up."
--Matthew13: 3-4

A bitterly cold
and icy day
prompting schools to close

I spend much 
of the morning staring
out my back window
at the birds
quickly devouring
a feeder full of seed

They need more, I think.

I fill up the seed container
put on my coat and
trudge outside
'round the house to
the backyard
frozen grass crunching underfoot

Pour seed into the feeder that
hangs where a swing once swayed
toss peanuts and corn on the
end of the green plastic slide, now 
covered in a frosty glaze

Heading back 'round to the
front of the house, I spy a
swallow, or is it a wren, hopping on
the roof

So I pour a bit of seed on
the path to the door, thinking
the bird will see, call its friends, and
fill their little bellies

But it's been hours now, and
I look through my peephole, finding
the seed still there, as
freezing rain lightly falls

I call my husband at his work to
warn him of the icy rain, and
tell him not to crush the
seed underfoot on
his way to the door.

3 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at how quickly the birds devour the seed in a feeder. You paint a clear picture of your day and and I think choosing poetry as your form was so perfect for this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your precious care for the birds; this poem is beautiful. All beings need to take care and be cared for during ice storms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, take care during the storms. Your poem was a lovely story poem that settled me down before bedtime.

    ReplyDelete