Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Tuesday Slice of Life: Coming out of the dark


I am a realistic optimist who likes scary books and movies...except when they hit too close to home.  Loved Stephen King's Pet Sematary (even though I shrieked at the ending and threw the book across the room), couldn't sleep for nights after watching "Poltergeist" in the 80s (there was a toy clown in my bedroom, and I come from a family of ghost-believers).  Love Poe-esque horror stories, could barely stomach Hunger Games (the social commentary on economic class and reality television seemed frighteningly prophetic).  I am the girl at the movies who will deliver a vise-like grip on the arm of the person next to me when the suspense becomes too much, then come home and quickly push aside the shower curtain in the bathroom to make sure no one is lurking there.

This meme appeared in my Facebook newsfeed a few weeks ago.  It reminded me of my reaction to scary movies and books, and seemed apropos for the news these days:  #metoo, hate crime shootings and bombings, voter suppression, and the midterm elections.
My husband and I have already cast our ballots.  The thought of watching mainstream television tonight, favorite shows interrupted by election result updates, is giving me the same upset stomach that Hunger Games delivered.  Rather than ride an emotional rollercoaster all evening, which would undoubtedly lead to a restless night--all due to something which is now beyond our control--we are considering leaving the television off, or maybe binge-watching an Amazon Prime show or two.  We will hold each other tight and drift off to sleep.  

The realist in me says that no matter what, we will persevere.  The optimist in me hopes the curtains will be thrown wide open, and the boogeymen will be seen for who they are, vanquished in the light of day.  I can wait for the morning for the ending to this scary movie.

6 comments:

  1. Now I'm scared and I hate scary movies!!! I recommend streaming the Marvelous Ms Maisel on amazon prime - so good!! We will persevere and it will most likely be an emotional rollercoaster. Tomorrow will come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes me smile, but the message and the truth in it make me want to grasp any nearby arm. Yes, we will persevere, but I really am hoping that tonight's results feel different than they have in recent Election Days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerfully-written, tight piece here - what a haunting meme, indeed. Reminds me of how much I loved horror movies and stories when I was younger, but the things that resonate most with me in your writing here are hope - it comes shining through - and holding "tight" to one another. How we all need one another ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary movies and scary times. I find myself commenting often "You can't make this stuff up." When fiction is regularly outdone by reality we know we are living in hard, and likely only in hindsight, interesting times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That meme is scary! I'm no fan of scary books or movies and reality these days is too much for me. I'm on media blackout til the results are in. No watching and wondering for me. Too stressful! Fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ve been watching Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. No commercials. I went to bed early last night not wanting to see any of it. In MA we are isolated from most of the day to day conflict, but am not sure I can see the positives in our current climate. I agree with Clare, we persevere. Our daily lives are hopeful.

    ReplyDelete