Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tuesday Slice: An hour of gratitude

They started arriving not long after our return from Thanksgiving Break, a token here and there, becoming a flurry of presents two weeks later.  Thank yous had been said in person, brief squeezes on shoulders with heartfelt smiles in between rounds of reading stories and checking out books.  

The gifts had been moved behind the chair, to make room for the tree.  Two shopping bags full of smaller gift bags, envelopes, a few boxes, almost out of sight but not forgotten over the hectic past few weeks.  With family returned to their corners of the world, the tree was taken down this past weekend, the chair moved back to its usual place, and I could reach my holiday treasure trove.

The presents were wonderful, to be sure.  A tin of Danish cookies, snacks, scented hand creams.  A pair of reading socks.  Beautiful mugs with hot cocoa mixes.  Gift cards to my favorite stores.  Christmas all over again, in my now undecorated living room.

As I opened each gift and wrote out my thanks, I was captured most by the childish printed notes of appreciation.  "Thank you for letting us check out your books."  "Thank you for reading us good stories."  One student even asked, "If you were a child, what books would you read?"  My answer--"All the picture books in our library, because they are wonderful."

A note from a parent made me pause.  He took the time to thank me for making the library a welcome place for his child, for understanding when a book went missing, and recognized the effort it takes to be of service to over twelve hundred students.

The words were the best gifts of all.   

13 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes words are the best gift. Love, love your last line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! Gifts are nice, but being told I'm doing my job well is better.

      Delete
  2. Oh how lovely - glad you waited so you could savor each word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I LOVED how you developed the setting. I was right in the room with you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Claire. I am working hard at small moment writing; it's not my forte. Glad I accomplished it this time!

      Delete
  3. The words are the best gifts, and they last longer than cookies! 😉 This is something those of us who spend our teaching lives in high school know well since the other gifts are rare. Enjoy those gift cards. Treasure the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel for you high school teachers. I tried to give some treats to our children's secondary teachers during their years there, as well as encouraging emails. Didn't do as much as I should have, though!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had these moments and treasures to savor, this bright spot between the end of the holidays and the return to the grind. I am always moved by notes, especially thank-you notes, and that children and parents took the time. Last week at school a student wrote me a note to say "thanks for being so nice and for being my friend." I put it on my bulletin board where I can see it often, a little shot of encouragement and peace. You are clearly very loved and appreciated, Chris. Your post is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that I am tickled when I get "you're the best librarian ever!" notes...since chances are, I'm their first librarian. But I'm happy that I'm setting a positive tone for their future library experience. We so need that encouragement, especially mid-year and beyond! I'm glad (and not surprised) that you have notes to get you through, too.

      Delete
  5. What fun to savor those gifts once the rush of the season was over! I always loved those words from the heart and I still have a file I've kept, reminds me of the young people who wrote them, all grown up now. My last sixth grade class are seniors this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save them, too! And my first kindergarteners as a new librarian graduated from fifth grade last year. This year, my first fifth graders are juniors in high school this year; time flies!

      Delete
  6. All a lovely scene. Words are the best gift. I always appreciate those who take the time to think of some words to say to me in a note. I'm so glad you were able to take in all the thanks that you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. I still have a few more to go today! In our ginormous elementary school, I get a few more gifts than the average librarian, I think.

      Delete