Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Tuesday Slice: There will be fun

I am doing something just for fun this upcoming Spring Break.

I don't know exactly what it is yet, but it will be fun.  And outside of the city limits.  There will be little to no shopping --I am weaning myself off of retail therapy.  Fresh air will be involved.  Maybe some art, maybe some learning.  Definitely good food, cooked by someone else.

My husband tried to poke a hole in my spring break dreams by replying to my request for fun with the need to declutter.  I countered with the fact that the reason our home is so cluttered is that we don't plan for fun.  We just sit at our respective computers and windowshop for hours on end until packages arrive on our doorstep and clutter up the house--a habit I've successfully worked on breaking this past month.  Until we address the "why", this decluttering process will be like shoveling snow in a blizzard.

My grand experiment this year is to spend money on experiences, not stuff.  The theory is that by switching focus, the currently owned stuff will lose importance, and will be easier to part with.  I was already planning on spending two or three days of Spring Break testing that theory by cleaning house--as long as I get to play, too. 

As God is my witness, there will be fun. 

4 comments:

  1. "I don't know exactly what it is yet, but it will be fun." I love this. The tone of this post is amazing: determined, funny, and (dare I say it?), fun. I love your experiment for this year. Betting your slices will be full of experiences. Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms Potts! I've had decluttering as a goal for YEARS, and this is the first year it's clicked with the "why". Hoping to end 2020 on a lighter note in all sorts of ways!

      Delete
  2. Go for it! I’m a big fan of fun experiences, and since learning is at the top of my fun activity list, I’m all about traveling to learn. Of course, having someone else cook is always fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may just head 45 minutes up the road! No matter, it's the experience that counts.

      Delete