Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tuesday Slice: My office romance

I am entering my third week of working from home.  He is entering his second week.

Our routines used to be more separated and defined.  My four-thirty-am alarm, his six-am.  I would be finished with my morning tasks at the computer before he entered the study, hitting the shower as he drank his coffee, kissing him goodbye before he finished his first cup.  Unless I had the day off, he was always the last to lock up the house.  We wouldn't speak to each other during the day.  I would call from the car in the late afternoon to see which one of us was running later than usual.  If he got home before me, the door would be unlocked and ever-so-slightly ajar, enough that I just had to push it open, because he knew my hands were often full.

Now we're both having trouble with consistent morning routines.  I still manage to wake up before he does, but sometimes by just a few minutes.  My eighteen minute commute, his half hour, are now shortened to thirty seconds, tops, from bedroom to desk.  My setup is at the craft table in the study; he has taken over half the kitchen table, where our college boy usually sits when he's home.  We both log in before we're dressed for the day. His first tasks are sometimes accompanied by my workouts in the living room, but once we're bent over our computers, we can't see each other from our respective "cubicles".

He is an incredibly understanding and supportive co-worker.  I pass by him several times an hour when my Fitbit reminds me to get up and walk, our small house not affording much room for movement.  I sometimes pause for a kiss, and he hasn't reported me to HR (yet).  He is quiet while I am recording read-alouds or running a Hangout, and hasn't interrupted a single virtual meeting by getting in the frame.  Come lunchtime, we'll break for a quick walk around the block together.

They say office romances don't often work out...I think we'll be fine.  Quarantine or not, it's nice to be married to a coworker with a shared work ethic.  Just don't tell the boss about those midday kisses...

12 comments:

  1. This sums up working from home with your spouse perfectly. We are all trying to figure out the ins and outs of working from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrissy! Is is a different vibe, for sure!

      Delete
  2. For all the world being turned upside down, this is the great gift of it: togetherness. Love holding its own, always landing right-side up. I imagine some folks are not enjoying so much togetherness (yikes). Some are going to miss it desperately when things return to "normal." Yours is a story of real happily-ever-after, Chris, not in the highly suspect fairy tale sense but in the deep security of having married the right person, each with mutual consideration of the other, and being able to give and take as you ride life's billows together. It's a beautiful portrait of love - highlighted with perfect touches of humor. P.S. At the moment, you ARE Human Resources -!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky in the marriage department, Fran, no doubt there. And I worry a bit about folks that aren't quite so lucky; the word "abuse" has been popping up more frequently in my circles, and I hope people are taking advantage of teletherapy options. As for HR...hubby actually teasingly called me the boss!

      Delete
  3. Awww, what a lovely spin on this challenging time. I am noticing many people slicing today about surprise and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if this is joyful per se, Erika, but it is definitely comfortable...which is all we could hope for during this weird time, yes?

      Delete
  4. What a fun slice! I love how you played up all parts of a "normal" office romance in anything but a normal situation. My favorite line was "I sometimes pause for a kiss, and he hasn't reported me to HR (yet)." May your quarantine and mutual job share continue to blossom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It may come to an end soon; he's thinking of returning to work next week. I think we've gotten a little insight into what we each do at work in the meantime.

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed being a fly on the wall as I see how two people work from home. My husband and I are learning this new set-up, too. This is a year of work we will never forget!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny to think that not so long ago, families worked together like this all the time? I hope you and your husband are falling into a comfortable routine, too, Sally.

      Delete
  6. Your humor and wit in this post have me a smile. Thanks for the lighthearted post! Keep that romance alive - but don’t tell HR for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We won't tell. It has been an interesting interlude in our work lives!

      Delete