Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Tuesday Slice: Juxtaposition

Like planets aligning, celebrations will be juxtaposed this coming weekend.  My youngest, my second-born will turn twenty-two on Saturday.  Sunday we celebrate Mother's Day.

This has only happened three times before:  the weekend of his birth, 2009, 2015.  The next time it will happen will be in 2026.

I remember the coincidence in 1998 with a smile because of chocolate-covered strawberries.  I had been gestationally diabetic during pregnancy, and rule-follower that I am, had very little chocolate during my last trimester--we're talking three M&Ms each Wednesday, just to cure the craving.  My postpartum bloodwork announcing my normal bloodsugar coincided with the delivery of a dozen chocolate-covered strawberries from a local candy manufacturer, gifted to every woman in the hospital giving birth that weekend, in honor of Mother's Day.  I ate eight of them before leaving the hospital on Tuesday.

There are celebrations I didn't want to combine.  My firstborn's due date fell just four days before our December wedding anniversary, and I hoped they didn't match--how romantic is throwing a child's birthday party?  Fortunately, she complied....unfortunately, a bit too well, arriving on Labor Day instead. Yes, we all recognized the irony at the time.  She has had a Labor Day birthday three times since, and will have another next year.

But how can I deny the connection between my children's births and Mother's Day?  After all, I wouldn't be a mother if it weren't for the gifts of their arrivals.  Because of my son's timing, we get to co-celebrate every so often.  It happened the year after he was born and twice more since; it will happen again next year. I really don't mind.  His birthday, as well as his sister's,  always make me pause and remember what an amazing experience becoming a mother has been, and will continue to be.

Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment