Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Tuesday Slice: Coleslaw


I know the answer before I ask, but ask it anyway.

"You don't eat coleslaw, right?"

"No," he says, and then proceeds to tell me all the different, other ways he will eat cabbage.  He knows he's not changing my mind by telling me.

Half a head, then.  The stemmed half gets bagged and refrigerated, and I turn back to the thin plastic chopping board.  There's something satisfying about slicing through the densely packed leaves, first one way, then the other.  A moment's hesitation trying to remember if there is onion in the recipe...I think there is, but I'm not in an onion mood tonight.

Kitchen memories of my mother and her mother surface as I finish chopping and transfer the last pale green bits to an old white, plastic bowl. The knife and board go into the sink.  I retrieve my favorite, red-handled spoonula.  My lack of spatial intelligence is evident once again, as the utensil refuses to fit in the mouth of the Hellman's mayonnaise jar.  A large soup spoon does the trick, and I add three big plops of that creamy goodness to the cabbage.  The spoonula does quick work of folding it all together.  I add one more spoonful of mayo for good measure.

Now the seasonings.  Salt, pepper, celery seed.  The scent of that last ingredient takes me back to those few summers I had with my grandparents in between my father's duty stations, the hot dogs-and-hamburgers cookouts my parents hosted for friends.

I add a bit more celery seed, for memory's sake.  The coleslaw is mine, all mine, and I don't mind a bit.

10 comments:

  1. There is something special about making a dish for yourself that you love that no one else eats. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will happen more often, now that we're empty nesting!

      Delete
  2. I am smiling a bit at the hopefulness in that opening question, "You don't eat coleslaw, right?" Sort of asking permission to keep it to yourself - I love it! A little thing with a mighty link to your history and identity, even - food is powerful that way. Scents, especially - smell is the most evocative of the senses. I can so relate to it bringing rich memories, and beloved ones, back so vividly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be one of the downsides to smaller nuclear families; if no one in the younger generation likes a recipe, it slowly fades from family history. Thankfully my daughter likes the same kind of coleslaw!

      Delete
  3. Go and enjoy that coleslaw ALL TO YOURSELF. (There are some dishes I make that no one else eats in my house. It's interesting to savor food like that when you know it's all yours.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in good company then, Stacey! Which reminds me...I need to revisit the book "Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything" by Geneen Roth...

      Delete
  4. That last line reflects my favorite thing about cooking: I get to fix what I crave. I’ve been cooking more, too, and am craving Cole slaw after reading your post. I even purchased a new Kitchenaid stand mixer to enable my rediscovered love of baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a treat with that mixer, Glenda! My husband bought me one for my holiday baking two decades ago, and it's still going strong.

      Delete
  5. You literally made my mouth water. I bet it tasted as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, Karen; I had it for lunch and dinner for two days straight!

      Delete