Thursday, May 6, 2021

Made for joy: Spiritual Journey Thursday


Carol Varsalona's prompted theme for this month's Spiritual Journey writing is apt;  "Blossoms of Joy", beautifully aligns with the May flowers our April showers bring.

I offer a Gaelic prayer from Mary C. Earle's annotated book, Celtic Christian Spirituality:
Fashioned for Joy
As the hand is made for holding and the eye for seeing, 
thou hast fashioned me for joy.
Share with me the vision that shall find it everywhere:
in the wild violet's beauty;
in the lark's melody;
in the face of a steadfast man;
in a child's smile;
in a mother's love;
in the purity of Jesus.

--traditional Gaelic, translated by Alistair MacLean


The riotous joy of an overzealous rosebush
    celebrating the sun's return after a frigid winter

Bright pink faces to greet us at the door
Bouquets adorning our table 
almost always, for fifteen years

And
tiny yellow florets 
promising a harvest of cherry tomatoes
a handful of red roses, white carnations, pine boughs
 walked down the aisle
a ceramic pink pram, filled with foliage
one of those plants now a tree, bent as it hits the ceiling
lilies at a funeral, white roses on the casket
an ivy that lives on
a circlet of baby's breath
to top a white dress and patent shoes and new rosary
anniversary and
new baby and
birthday and
corsages and boutonnieres.

Flowers bloom at the touchstones and cornerstones of this one, joy-filled and tear-stained life.



12 comments:

  1. Your sentiments mirror mine about how flowers celebrate and mark the touchstones and cornerstones of life. Thanks for the poems and pics. I can't listen to the music yet since grandson is in the room next door trying to go to sleep. Soon! I always love when music is included in a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that in your post this morning too, Ramona! I was hesitant to include both music pieces, but they embody the spiritual for me, one describing Mary, who has two feast days this month, and the other, the rose emerging from the snow, just as my own did this year. Hope you find the time to enjoy them soon.

      Delete
  2. A stunning bouquet of "riotous joy," Chris - how I love that flowers have adorned your table for fifteen years. Every photo is a celebration of life renewed in its glory. We ARE "fashioned for joy," as expressed by that beautiful Gaelic prayer, and in the images of your own beautiful poem of life with flowers blooming throughout the living of it. "Flowers bloom at the touchstones and cornerstones of joy-filled, tear-stained life" - a magnificent line, a truth. I marvel again at the tree grown from the pink pram holder! And from your musician's heart, an offering of song, both of which I love. I wrote the lyrics to The Rose in calligraphy when I was young and hung it on the wall in my room. Sang it for a wedding once, long ago. Touchstones and cornerstones, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Fran...the calligraphy. You, too? I still have my ink and nibs and parchment paper somewhere in the mess of my craft room..."The Rose" was playing on the radio one morning on my way to work, decades ago. I sang along and cried, not really knowing why...and found out a few hours later that my aunt, my godmother, had passed away at that very time. She loved her rose garden, and haunted it even...but that's another story. The flowers on the table--I started keeping live flowers in my house all the time since my fortieth birthday, to enjoy them while I am still on this side of the ground. Luckily, I have a husband who obliges me and a grocery store that stocks a nice assortment most weeks.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful array of poetry and blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! I realized my poem made a potted plant, after I wrote it...kismet!

      Delete
  4. Chris, I just finished with 9 different tradespeople so apologize for responding late, even though I read this earlier. I applaud your vision of spring blooms and especially like your line: The riotous joy of an overzealous rosebush celebrating the sun's return after a frigid winter. I can relate to that. Some of plants did not revive after the extreme cold spell. Your flowers beckon to me. I loved reading your final piece with all of the bright moments in your life that share the beauty of flowers crowing each day with glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I really did feel like the rose bush was delightfully rioting, and was so happy (and bemused) by this happening after our Snowpocalypse. It did get me thinking of how flowers are present at milestones. I saw in your post that you go to Mass--I hope you caught the reference to First Communion in the poem.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful words and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! Carol gave us a lovely prompt, didn't she?

      Delete
  6. Beautiful. I love the very idea of Fashioned for Joy...but the lines are lovely too. That wild violet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I firmly believe that our Creator wants us to be happy, Linda, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Gratitude helps!

      Delete