Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Tuesday Slice: The waves and smiles

 

I don't often write about work on this platform, maybe because I have another blog on which I post twice weekly about reading and library happenings.  But with a lack of other fleshed-out ideas, a work post it is.

I get smiles and waves in the hallway.

I know, I'm not the only educator that gets this attention.  But think about what this means.  This isn't just a nod to popularity.

Our students choose to send those smiles and waves our way.  It's not the same as the perfunctory greeting we elicit at the door, or the thanks that teachers prompt on the way out of the library.  Those smiles and waves are genuine (unless they're being used as a ruse for more thought-out shenanigans, but that's rare in my elementary school).

In my unique position as the campus librarian, I come in contact with every single student, every single week.  First and foremost, I want them to see me as a safe, reliable adult who welcomes them into an inclusive space of literacy, learning, and exploration.  There are days where the behavior and attitude of some students, and sometimes my behavior in response, makes me feel like I am failing at my task.

And then I get the smiles and waves, and I know I'm getting it right at least some of the time. So I always take the time to smile and wave back. 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful statement: First and foremost, I want them to see me as a safe, reliable adult who welcomes them into an inclusive space of literacy, learning, and exploration.

    You could have chosen anything as what you want kids to see you as and you choose this!! No wonder you get those smiles and waves. Congrats on naming your purpose and on the positive feedback from your students. Your school is lucky in you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing all of the wonderful things you do, there is no doubt those kiddos genuinely love and appreciate you. Your campus is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete