Thursday, July 6, 2023

Spiritual Journey Thursday: The joys of summer

 

Carol is hosting our Spiritual Journey Thursday this month.
Her theme is "Rejoice in a Sunkissed Summer Season"; 


I have had to work hard
to find the joys of 
this summer season.

But they are there,
if I squint.

Unscheduled days
Book comas



















Air conditioning
Episodes of "Queer Eye" on Netflix

Unhurried lunches with friends
Leisurely naps on the couch

Moments spent finding
the patterns in lake ripples















Tall pine trees 
Sun on my legs



















My granddog's adoring eyes
Pizza from a local shop in a new-to-me place



















Watching my adult children
share their strong connection



















Summer's birds coming to my feeder
Speckled sparrows and petite wrens

A new roof on our house
A new planner for the coming year





















Exuberance found 
in my newly-birthed SoulCollage card
its message, whispered in my ear--
"Martyrdom and misery
are not required in this life
in order to leave a legacy."






8 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and words. In so many ways you remind me of your Mom. Love Ya. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you celebrate the simple joys of everyday life, things we so often miss because we are looking for bigger things. Ma your life be filled with simple joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, it is delightful to read all your joys, especially when you had a rough year. The top of your list is unscheduled days &
    book comas. I am still in the midst of scheduled days with to dos but I am working on decluttering, detangling my lists, relaxing when I can, and falling into a book comma. I like that latter thought so much. I remember when I was a little girl and I read book after book in the summer. Keep on finding reasons to rejoice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I love a book coma! I used to get into them more than I do now. I crave them, though. As well as some sun on my legs (it is needed, just saying). I, too, am savoring the birds and their daily activities - currently waiting on bluebirds to leave the nest so I can take down the birdhouse and have the rickety deck rebuilt. Seems to me that, although you had to work hard to find summer joys, after that first "squint," they bubbled up as from a fresh spring. Your lines just flow - and are refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely refreshing...what wonderful and restful days. I am having similar days. I wish I could soak them up and wring them out when I need that refreshment. Thank you for sharing a bit of yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel the tug in your heart. My summer hasn't been the easiest by far, but your words help me see the good things. My adult daughters who all three share parenting now. And the wrens...here I have chickadees. When we look out at nature, God is there with open arms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris: Summer has been a challenge for a number of us, it seems. This week we were without water for 2 days. But, much to be thankful for. Thank you for your thoughts and photos, and best wishes for a refreshing and renewing finish to your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, I read your collected thoughts and photos with joy. I loved Lessons in Chemistry too. Wishing you more time to read, nap, sit in the sun, and lunch with friends.

    ReplyDelete