Thursday, September 7, 2023

Spiritual Journey Thursday: A ship called Grace

 

Patricia is hosting our Spiritual Journey Thursday this month.
Her theme is "Grace"; 

I need reminding
that I am sailing
in a ship of
Grace

It is a small vessel
--just enough room 
for me, and
my hopes, and
my worries

and a Captain,
of course

The hopes I packed
She uses as 
seasoning
just the smallest bit
added to our 
sustenance, to
brighten our
spirit

The worries that
stowed away
get thrown overboard
as they are discovered
left behind
as we flow 
with the current

There is nothing
I need to do
The Captain
guides her ship
the ship 
gently holds us
the water
takes us
where we need to go

It is enough
to just be
and breathe
and let my fingers dangle
in the sparkling river
taking care
not to let
discarded worries
wriggle their way
back onboard. 

8 comments:

  1. Chris, this poem post is full of imagery that personalizes your journey. This is a metaphor for life not just yours but for others like me who need reminders that Grace continually guides us. I am glad you added the wording, "just be"in the last stanza. It confirms that my one word BE is guiding me to a slow-down phase on my journey. May your ship continue to transport you to additional stops where can you dangle your fingers and just be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, what a beautiful interpretation of Grace! I love the letting go of worries, like cast-off cargo. And giving in to the gentle current and floating in the care of The Captain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, how relaxed and stress free we would be if we just let the Captain of our boat take over our journey. I love your poem because it so aptly describes what Grace and how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dangling fingers in the water is so evocative of relaxation! I'm headed to a lake with hopes of doing just that. Thank you for this lovely floating interlude of grace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this stanza:

    "There is nothing
    I need to do
    The Captain
    guides her ship
    the ship
    gently holds us
    the water
    takes us
    where we need to go

    With trust, we can rest in grace! I love the image of throwing our worries overboard. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, this is absolutely beautiful. I love the combination of what you pack and bring with you and what grace does with it and adds to the experience. A beautifully true and poetic reflection. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful and powerful imagery, Chris, grace as a ship with God as captain. The lines that captivate me most are the 'hopes packed becoming seasoning to brighten one's spirit' - how true is this? That is certainly what desires of the heart do - they brighten, they buoy, they add flavor. Reminds me of Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart (ESV). I cannot help thinking also how the Captain who guides the vessel which holds us also holds the waters. Such rest and peace emanate from every line of this gently-flowing, gorgeous poem.

    ReplyDelete