Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Tuesday Slice: Not yet ready for used to be

 

I am not there for the soft entry, the smiles,
the "How was your summer?" and "Loved the pics of your vacation!".

I am not there to hunt for a seat near an outlet, knowing my laptop still needs to charge.

I am not there for the new tee shirt, the long agenda, the fresh coffee and breakfast tacos.

I am not there with a fresh new planner, filling in dates of meetings and holidays and book fairs.

I am not there for the updates, legal (hopefully better news) and software glitch fixes.

I am not there for the new books, the new budgets, the new resources--or the lack of the latter.

I am not there, and no one is there in my place, either.

I am not there because I chose not to be there...but I am not yet ready for used to be.

***********

It is the first day back for school librarians in my district, and they will all be meeting together to look at the year ahead.  I retired at the end of last year, and that position has yet to be filled, along with several other library postings; I may be subbing in a few of those until librarians are found.  This hasn't happened in the decade-plus years I served behind the circulation desk. I think teacher pay incentives (TIA, here in Texas) which result in salaries higher than a librarian earns, as well job uncertainty as neighboring districts cut librarian positions, may be to blame.  

I miss my library and teacher colleagues.  I miss the hope and optimism behind planning the scope and sequence for the year, embedding read-alouds and research lessons.  I consider myself a realistic optimist, but today, I will have to remind myself why I chose to retire, and those reasons aren't so rosy--or I would still be there, after all.
 

2 comments:

  1. Even if you had truly been ready to retire, you might still be experiencing these "growing pains," and I've truly come to think of them like that. Thanks for capturing the feelings so beautifully in your poem with the refrain, "I am not..." and the "not yet ready for used to be."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was so real for me. I’m only a year ahead of you and I still miss it. I always loved getting my room ready for the school year. I loved walking down the hall and seeing all the fresh and fun bulletin boards. There are some things I will always miss. And there is an equally long list of things I don’t miss.

    ReplyDelete