Nothing came out on the first try, so
I struggled with the small white tube, squeeeezing
All the way from the flat crimped end to the tip, less
Than four inches away.
For a split second, I was hopeful that it was
Empty, but then a small bit squiggled out, landing
On my fingernail, just enough to cover the
Seven marks on my belly.
This belly that still looks like it's five months
Pregnant, even though it hasn't carried a
Baby in almost three decades, can't at all since
That factory was razed.
This belly that is scarred in seven places, ranging
From barely-there to pink to dark brown lines.
For five months, I have dutifully applied the gel from
That four-inch-long tube, dabbing it on each mark after
Emerging from the shower, so it can dry before
I get dressed.
I am so over it, as they say.
So once this tube is done, I'm done.
Scars or no scars, it's time to move on.

No comments:
Post a Comment