Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Lessons that stick


This past week has been stressful in good and bad ways.

A lesson on "eustress" is one I haven't forgotten from my high school psychology class. Good stress is still stressful, my teacher said.  It can tax your body and wear you out.

The last ten days have been focused on end-of-school-year celebrations and goodbyes, the major transition of high school graduation for our youngest child, the celebration of his accomplishments, and the preparation for his upcoming major jaw surgery.

The heightened social activity at work and home has exhausted my introverted limits for interaction.  I am yearning for a solo retreat that can't happen because of the surgery preparations...Which will lead to the surgery recovery...Which leads to college orientation and preparation...Which puts us right back to the beginning of next school year.

Yes, most of this is eustress.  I've wrapped up a successful fourth year as a librarian. It's a good thing that our child has grown, will be healthier as a result of this surgery, will go off to college to pursue his dreams.  But stress is stress, and it is wearing me out.

5 comments:

  1. Lots going on. I hope by naming it and even remembering that some stress can be good, helps you find that feeling you would find on a solo retreat. I predict lots of journalling for you this summer. Can't you and your writing be your own solo retreat?! Hang in there. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow introvert who also gets worn out by all the, admitedly, wonderful end of year celebrations, may I suggest micro-retreats? A stolen hour in the bath. Even half an hour with the bedroom door closed. They're mini recharging sessions that slip between the other responsibilities. They cause less guilt, and also I suppose less eustress of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow introvert who also gets worn out by all the, admitedly, wonderful end of year celebrations, may I suggest micro-retreats? A stolen hour in the bath. Even half an hour with the bedroom door closed. They're mini recharging sessions that slip between the other responsibilities. They cause less guilt, and also I suppose less eustress of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes for endings, the surgery, and finding little ways for a solo retreat. As Katie above said, a few minutes with the door closed helps some. My time in a bubble bath often was my retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, best wishes for the surgery. Yes, this is stressful. The graduation alone can be stressful. I hope you can find or make a few days for yourself to unwind. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete