Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tuesday Slice: My personal dig site

My desk is covered in a twelve-inch high avalanche of paper.  It's really that high; I just took out my measuring tape and assessed the situation.  The first thought that came to mind as I surveyed this paper mountainscape is that an anthropologist could figure out my entire living situation using my desk as a dig site.  Just scanning the bits that are sticking out, here's what I spy in the dim light of my study:

  • a printed Slice that I meant to put in my yearly planner
  • receipts I meant to put in my check register
  • notes from an online webinar, written on a sticky pad
  • coupons, and online codes written on scraps of paper
  • medical paperwork (it's important, so it's on top!)
  • pretty stationery
  • bills that have been paid, and bills waiting to be paid
  • a catalog for high school class rings
  • recipes
  • a punch card for a painting workshop
  • a postcard from my car dealer
  • an owl diecut notepad
  • a high school football game ticket
  • Christmas cards
  • books
  • card reminders for appointments already kept
  • my checkbook and register
  • a current PTA membership card
That's just the paper bits.  There are non-paper paraphernalia adding to the peaks and valleys:
  • my phone, charging
  • various pens
  • a bag of goodies from my recent 5K
  • three owl candleholders (without burning candles, for obvious reasons)
  • our digital camera, waiting for a download of photos
  • a cute keyring bracelet of ceramic beads from my neighbor
  • small boxes containing owl figurines 
  • an empty Japanese beer bottle--with an owl on it
  • phone cables and earbuds
  • reading glasses
  • patches that need to be sewn onto my son's letter jacket
Some of this mess needs to be filed; some clearly needs to be tossed or shredded; and there are bits I'd like to hold on to for memory's sake. I clearly need either intervention, or an entire uninterrupted weekend to sort this out.  Since neither is happening soon, I'll have to settle for an hour of tossing and re-piling this evening.  Guests are coming, and I don't need the avalanche sliding into the front hallway.

4 comments:

  1. Or keep it all...I could see each being the seed to your next Slice of Life story. I see your post as a lovely "brainstorm" list! You may not be good with clutter but you get an A+ in generating ideas! Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. I need to make one of my own. I keep all my lists in one spot now because they say so much about me. It's like a list journal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really relate to this slice!

    ReplyDelete