Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tuesday Slice: One less

A song from 1970 has been running through my head the last week.  It started one morning as I was emptying the dishwasher, thinking about all the drinking glasses my son went through in a day.  It occurred to me that there would be a lot less to put away once he started college.

"One less bell to answer..."  No more getting up from a comfy seat to open the door when he's locked himself out.  No more phone calls to be picked up from a friend's house, or requests for chicken and fries on my way home from work.

"One less egg to fry..."  He doesn't eat fried eggs.  But this summer of recovering from jaw surgery found us focusing on what he could eat, and trying to get as much of that in him as possible.  I'm happy to report that he's found at least one cafeteria on campus with grilled chicken he can "eat".  He knows he has to meet with a nutritionist this week to make sure he continues to gain weight. 

"One less man to pick up after..."  We just got home Sunday night from college move-in, so there's still the aftermath of packing to deal with.  We'll clean up his spot at the table, wash his bed linens for his next trip home, and do the last bit of laundry in his hamper (though I suspect he'll return with more).  But there will be no school papers strewn on the living room floor this fall, no eyeglasses left in the hallway, no sneakers to trip over.

"I should be happy...But all I do is cry."  The one line that doesn't ring true for me.  I am happy for our newest college student.  I thought I'd cry when I came home to an empty house, but have yet to shed a tear.  Chalk it up to exhaustion from the move or the chaos of starting my own school year in the library, or maybe it's the feeling that we have graduated as parents.  Our fledgling has left his little cage of home for the aviary of college, and I am looking forward to seeing him fly.




7 comments:

  1. Love that song... I love how you used that tune to inspire your slice. What comes next for you??? For him????
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the link to the song, one I always liked! I didn't cry either. I think I was too excited for my daughters to begin this next chapter, one I knew they were ready for. Now they both have finished college and for me, each year with adult children is so fun!! Enjoy this next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are strong! I liked the repetition of "one less".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you used the song to frame your piece. I didn't have a tough transition when my kids left for college, but I was always thankful for the distraction of a busy start to the school year. (I was also enormously thankful for the ease of communication with modern technology!) I've found it more challenging to adjust to them graduating and permanently moving out of the house. Having said that, I so agree with Sally that having adult children is so much fun! Wishing your son a fabulous first year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an exciting transition for you all! Having been an empty nester for a few years now I can say you will probably always miss the little things, but revel in the new things too. I loved the way you built this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's 70s SOL day today! Love the retro song and your connection. Congrats on this rite of passage and cheers to you for your strength. Ongoing peace to all, and here's to a wonderful experience for your son - I am glad to know he's healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this song, this blog, this college kiddo, this mom, this librarian, this master writer and mentor. Empty-nester Nash

    ReplyDelete