Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Judy's post

There were nine drafts sitting in my blog post queue.  Nine ideas for writing; surely one would suffice, since my Muse was not whispering to me...

During this past Slice of Life Challenge in March, Judy wrote about her experience in 4-H. I was only vaguely familiar with the homemaking and agricultural aspects of 4-H; Girl Scouting was my group activity from second grade through my freshman year of high school.

It was the 4-H pledge that Judy posted that caught my eye:

"I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world."


I didn't know what the four H's were until I read that post.
Head, for clear thinking.
Heart, for loyalty to loved ones and worthy causes.
Hands, for service to others.
Health, for balance and the energy to accomplish the tasks our head and heart dictate, so that our hands do not falter.

All for the purpose of bettering ourselves for the benefit of the world near and far; the 4-H pledge is a good reminder of what is important and needs to be taken care of as we head back to our classrooms, libraries, and offices.  Here's wishing all of us a focused, purposeful, productive, and healthy 2018-2019 school year!

4 comments:

  1. All of the above also pertains to us ole "Retired" folks. We volunteer our help in many ways and it is much appreciated. Thanks for posting this. Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a line of drafts and my Muse sometimes sits mute as well. Yet you pulled off a warm, timely, rousing post. Seems your Muse was whispering to you after all. Bettering ourselves to benefit the world, near and far ... a high calling and the most fundamental. Your words are an invitation to prepare for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unfamiliar with the 4-H pledge until you shared it here, but it's one I'll remember now. I love the idea of combining Head, Heart, Hands and Health to make a positive difference in the world. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not read that original post - but I love that you brought it alive here! The 4-h pledge is an excellent muse for all of us! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete