Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Tuesday Slice: The Clown

One of my self-care actions this school year is attending more SoulCollage© sessions.  There's just something about focusing on a theme and images that takes me out of my head and into my heart for a few hours each month.  This past weekend I needed it more than ever, after reading my friends' #metoo stories and following the debacle of the Supreme Court nomination hearings.

Sue, our facilitator, introduced us to Heyoka, the Native American version of The Clown Archetype.  This "court jester" leads us to truth with humor, delivering pranks borne of love without bullying.  I know very few people with this skill; I believe my mother was one of them.  We also talked about Coyote, The Trickster, and listened to one person's account of sitting in a circle of animal dung waiting for enlightenment, only to be laughed at by Coyote and told to lighten up.
My Heyoka SoulCollage© card, 10.6.18.
My mind has definitely been in a serious state as of late, and in desperate need of Heyoka's wise humor.  After pulling a borrowed card and using it to interpret Heyoka's message to us, this is what I "heard":

"Hey, you serious dreamer, you whose sadness and despair leave you feeling punched in the gut...

Get that sh** out already!  Don't you know that the darkness you swallow doesn't need to stay, can't stay inside for too long, or it will end in necrosis? 

Climb this tree with me.  Swing your legs, look down on that which makes you feel hopeless.  See that in the grand scheme of things, those problems are really quite small.  Feel the strength of this old tree, which has seen it all and continues to thrive.

This is a season of blossoming and change.  Whistle through the chaos, stop and smell the roses...such glorious blooms are fed, after all, by the sh** in the earth.

Dance with me, you dreamer, and all will be well."

As if to punctuate the message, Heyoka showed up again in my Monday Notes from the Universe™ :

"Did you know that it's perfectly OK, even highly ideal, to claim all is well amid doubt and confusion? To be happy in spite of challenges? To laugh at problems? Dance without a partner? Sing without a rhyme? Talk to inanimate objects?"

Yep, I'm getting the message to lighten up loud and clear.  Thanks for taking the edge off my sadness, Clown/Heyoka/Trickster.  Or shall I call you "Hope"?

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Chris! I share in your sadness -- clearly we're working from similar spaces. I'm fascinated by your SoulCollage session and by the message you "heard" from Heyoka. "Feel the strength of this old tree." "Whistle through the chaos." Such powerful messages of perspective and hope. And that final note from the universe seems heaven sent. Thank you for injecting a hopeful note into the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. We are definitely in a time when we need some of Heyoka's messages, although there are a few things going on that I might need to be pretty high up in that tree if they're going to look small! Just sayin'! Love these last three reminders, especially: "Dance without a partner? Sing without a rhyme? Talk to inanimate objects?"
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post - was needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fascinated by the soul collage idea and want to know more. Also, reading your post gave me a sense of comfort. As you know, I've been focused on the SCOTUS confirmation and the #MeToo movement.

    ReplyDelete