Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Equal expectations

My husband and I are "CBS Sunday Morning" watchers.  Or rather, I watch it, and he listens from the study, popping in and out of the living room as topics catch his interest.  I liken it to the "Mr. Rogers" time of our weekend, a relatively quiet hour-and-a-half of catching up on news and learning a thing or two about modern history, human ingenuity and acts of kindness.  No sensationalism, no yelling, the show always ending with a "moment of nature" for which we both pause in silence.

During 2018, the show is featuring snippets of history from 1968.  My memories of that year barely exist; I was two, and reeling from my only-child throne upended by the arrival of my brother.  I watch these segments and try to imagine how it impacted my parents and their peers during that year of tumultuous changes in the U.S.

This past weekend, the 1968 spotlight focused on the Miss America pageant.  Unbeknownst to the competitors, feminists marched outside the event, likening it to a cattle auction. It was one of the first times the women's liberation movement would make headlines.

Gender inequality is still a newsworthy topic; the display of male privilege during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings is a prime example.  The advances made by those 60's feminists, though, are still felt today.  A quote that stayed with me from the segment came from Gail Collins, a New York Times columnist:

"... and within one generation, a little baby girl being born was picked up by her father and looked at with the same expectations as a little baby boy being born." 

I'm not sure if my parents felt that way when my brother and I were born.  I know for sure that when my own daughter and son arrived in the 1990s, our expectations for each were wide open.    Forecasting a narrow vision of their future wasn't a consideration; our dreams and prayers were for a healthy, happy life of fulfilling work and relationships.

Given the current political and societal climate, I hope our dreams for both our daughter and son can still come true.

4 comments:

  1. Well said. When you and your Brother were born, your Mom and I thanked God. I prayed all the time for your health, your safety, and your future. I still do. Did we hope you both would become Doctors, Lawyers, Scientists? No. We hoped you would be happy in whatever path you chose. Me and your Mom in Heaven are very proud of both of you. You and your families are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I was protesting the Viet Nam War in 1968; just graduated college...first year in grad school. I and most of my fellow grad students didn't even finish our degrees because we were so engaged in the politics of the time. I, too, have a son and daughter, with great hope for both their futures. They are each so different, but both equally passionate about their interests. Yes, despite all the feminist movement has accomplished, we are still fighting the ol' boy network (the republican senators) and the new boy (Kavanaugh) antics. Will it ever end? Thanks for a thought provoking post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is a thought inspiring post. I am a little older than you, born in '63. Like you, however, I do not have much recollection from this tumultuous time in history, as you so aptly put it. I only have boys - almost grown, now. However, I do hope, as a woman and a citizen, that both sexes will have equal opportunity to be happy, successful, contributing citizens in our country. It is hard to fathom that we still are in a place/time when we need to work on this. (from SOL'er The apples in my orchard on wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we both wrote about hope today, we're from the same era, and my younger sibling arrived along same timeline as yours - except mine was a sister. We weren't encouraged to go to college, but that had more to do with family background than gender. We were encouraged to be secretaries. Is it because the generation before couldn't see any other viable pathway for girls of our status? I brought home aptitude tests in elementary school that said I should pursue a career in medicine or law. It seemed a momentary and whimsical source of pride to my parents. Never a real possibility. I remember being rather stunned and not wanting to pursue those paths anyway - but what if I had? And teaching is the last thing I ever expected to do; at least I know that's where life steered me and that I wasn't typecast into it.

    ReplyDelete