Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Tuesday Slice: Monkey mind

 

I bought the quick-dry hiking pants to keep the sun and mosquitoes at bay.  I packed the lightweight, long-sleeved, vented shirt to do the same.  Boots, books, journal went into the bags along with provisions for five meals away from home.  The day after my final official workday of the 20-21 school year, I headed out for my second solo Getaway, this time in the Hill Country just an hour's drive or so to the west.

My plan was to spend some time in Wimberley eating lunch at a restaurant recommended by a friend, before checking into my cabin.  Since it was a Tuesday, I figured the town wouldn't be too packed.  I figured wrong.  There were unmasked crowds waiting in line for cafes, and the restaurant I wanted was closed to diners, even though the scent of their pizza wafted from the kitchen, frustrating me even more.  I had to settle for an unsatisfying citrus smoothie and kill some time texting colleagues and friends, not in the mood to brave the crowded boutique-y stores on the square.

Restless, I got back in the car and explored the backroads around town a bit, marveling at the ranch lots and livestock.  Three pm finally arrived and I pulled into the gravel drive outside my cabin--ahhhhh.

I had the solitude I craved.  I had a wonderful view of sky and trees and birds outside the big picture window.  I had a nature trail to hike, wildflowers to photograph, interesting rock cairns to ponder.

But I couldn't quiet my mind.  Thoughts of work and what still needs to be done in my library, the decluttering of my house, my frustration with stalled weight loss, my children's uncertain futures kept intruding.  The heat and humidity were oppressive, the flies relentless in disturbing any attempts to be still as I sat outside my cabin.  Even as I walked the trails, breathed the fresh air, paused to notice my surroundings...the mental chatter continued.  When I slept, I had odd work-related dreams.

Maybe the timing wasn't right.  Maybe I needed to distance myself more from work before I left town.  Maybe summer getaways are meant to be pool- or ocean-side for me, where I can escape the heat and let the water wash away the stress of the school year and the expectations of summer.  

Ding ding ding. Lessons learned, despite the chattering monkey mind.

Rock cairns were all over the property



Beautiful wildflowers

The pond at the entrance--"No swimming allowed"

The views were spectacular

Walking trail

Not a lot of this happening

My view for the duration

7 comments:

  1. My daughter went to these same cabins the weekend before you did. It was cooler too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to relax and soak in the view, Chris. I commend you for taking this trip solo, even with so many things on your mind. I added your name to my slice since I lifted Fran's line in the comment to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh!! We heard about Getaways at some point last week and put it on our must do! Sounds like you recommend it? What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are lovely, Chris, and I know you savored the setting even despite your chattering monkey mind - what a vivid metaphor! (I note how you linked this to the book title, Think Like a Monk, and I want to know what you think of this book). All your descriptive passages are so clear; I was there in the bustle of the crowd, not inclined to go boutiquing, either, and feeling uneasy. I can so relate to craving the solace of solitude, yet being unable to decompress. Lots of things weighing like the heavy air, uncertainties buzzing like flies in one's mind...I know these. I hope writing will bring some relief, even though I also know that all these things weigh that down as well. Work will wait. Time will open paths and doors for the children. Moments are precious. Here's to a fresh trickle of calm leading to a wellspring of peace, my wise but tired friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solitude is a lovely reset but you are right, you have to be ready to take it in. This is the hard part, sometimes. Loved the photos and also that you were able to escape, physically, all the swirls of the realities that awaited you. Your trip may have been interrupted by chatter but hopefully it helped chip away a bit in prepration for some deep relaxation in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done this type of thing in summer and have the same problem with monkey mind (adding a drop or two of guilt). I hope you were eventually able to settle and let yourself just be there, present in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer that this trip didn't go as you planned. Despite the setbacks, you did find little pockets of joy in your solitude. Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for inviting me to join you on your way back home. Even though it was hot, we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete