Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Verselove, Day 6: A story in six lines


Teacher-writers at ethicalela are sponsoring a month of poetry writing.
All educators can join in, too, at this link!
Mo Daley has given us a cherita to write--
a poem in three stanzas, with 1, 2, 3 lines each.

Now and then, gift tags resurface

Written in my mother’s graceful loops
My husband’s block print, my children’s scrawl

The gifts long forgotten, or used, or stored
But the tags bear the sentiment, tied with heartstrings
Written in defiance of mortality and inevitable change.

2 comments:

  1. So moving, Chris - I cannot throw some tags away, either. Your last line is just stunning; the handwriting a tangible reminder of the loved one's presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as if every tag is a love note, Fran. I've almost lost the memory of my mother's voice, and my children as preschoolers...but those tags can evoke strong emotions, for sure.

      Delete