Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Tuesday Slice: Getting back in the game, with different rules

 


Slicing instead of scrolling this morning
My words, instead of someone else's thoughts.

Oh, but there's doubt
(Do I have anything new to contribute?
Can I keep this space
from becoming a continual rant?)
I'm too old to fake it--
happiness ebbs and flows
that's just a fact.

I'm just now learning 
to be comfortable with "and"
happy and frustrated
joyful and sad
motivated and lazy
sure and confused
willing and stubborn
blessed and lacking
hopeful and cynical.

There's no more singularity of emotions;
you get both sides, now.
The game of life
has different rules
after half-time.

8 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I Tuesday sliced and I share your perspective of time...with a lot more time! I too see both sides now and I rarely judge. You just never know what the game of life is presentinng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s okay to rant occasionally, I hope because that’s pretty much what I did today. I know being here on Tuesday helps me think about stories all the time, and that, I believe, is a good thing. Anyway, processing your thoughts in a poem is an ideal way to think about them. See you next Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a no-judgment zone! You're among friends here -- always.
    I appreciate that you're sharing both sides, not the 'singularity of emotions.' We thrive when we can share both sides of how we're feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Praise hands emoji* Oh my! This is just what I needed to read/see/hear today! Yes, both/and. Let us feel free to tell our whole complicated, multidimensional stories to each other. Those beautiful co-existing realities you list ring truer than so many things I've read recently. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Chris, I so love that AND stanza and the conclusion about after halftime. That poem seems to have a lot of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, I often feel the same. Do I really have anything of value to post. I love the way you describe your personality in your poem. Stubborn is actually a very positive trait for one who wants to accomplish something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, you nailed it with "The game of life/has different rules/after-half time." And definitely yes to the both/and. I heard a podcast where they discussed this. There have been lots of ands lately. Such an affirming post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't blogged on a Tuesday in a while either. But I did it! Good for you for doing it! And if you use it to rant or vent so be it! It's your blog!

    ReplyDelete