Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Chaos and control

Chaos

The frenetic thoughts ignited by the buzzing alarm
Tiptoeing around a cluttered home
      and the pillows knocked to the floor by the couch-sleeper
Adding to the ever-growing pile of college dorm supplies overtaking the living room
Baking pans and mixing bowls left in the sink
Papers on the dining room carpet displaced by the air conditioner
Papers on my desk threatening to avalanche
Papers at work calling out to be filed
The library arranged for adults not children
Tables everywhere 
Cables in dangling tangles
Chairs stacked at odd angles
My attitude at odd angles

Control

Getting up in the dark with time to spare
Dressing in workout clothes
Morning coffee in a favorite mug
The familiar routine of writing
Lists written and items crossed off at home and school
Emails written and answered
Appointments made and kept
My work clothes laid out the night before
Healthy food cut up and packaged for the week
Reaching for the water instead of the wine
Turning off screens and going to bed before the evening news
The grateful thoughts penned in my journal as I set my alarm.

6 comments:

  1. Love how much calmer I felt reading that second section! Chaos is stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great exercise. I'd love to try slowing down to find the calm when I'm feeling the chaos creep in. Thanks for the idea! May you have more calm than chaos as summer winds down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this format to compare and contrast. Your words had me tense and then relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the control section is more about routine than power. Milan Kundera write that happiness is the longing for repetition. Your poem reminds me of that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy. I was feeling your chaos and longing for your control. In a way my slice today mirrors yours: the chaos of a room needing to be set up and what I do first to make me feel in control-ish. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding and making the calm is necessary when life is busy and chaos wants to take control. I enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete