Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Tuesday Slice: Seventeen inches

I emptied the rain gauge thrice last weekend, keeping track of the amount each time.  One and a half, then six, then six and a half, then three.  Seventeen inches of rain from Friday through Sunday.

We had electricity with only one "blink", running water, gas, and food in the pantry.  Our thirsty yard soaked up the water, as did the field behind us and the grassy culvert beyond.  Some blustery gusts knocked small bits of branches down without damage to our house or cars. 

Widen the circle a bit, and we had friends without power for up to twenty-four hours.  A tree was waterlogged and split in a neighbor's yard.  Flooded low-water crossings prompted official requests to stay home, or at the very least "turn around, don't drown".  We complied for the most part, my husband running some errands on Sunday but coming back frustrated with an incomplete merchandise return due to downed computers at a store.

The news to the southeast was more dire.  Evacuations of floodplains, highways under water, towns gone.  I stayed glued to Facebook for much of the weekend, checking in with friends in the hurricane's path and watching weather reports and live footage.  So far, the friends are all right, high and dry, though one family will be dealing with damage to their almost-new home.

It felt surreal to go back to work yesterday, with a two-hour delay to accommodate more rain, knowing that the sprinkles hitting my windshield were nothing compared to what our coast will continue to get throughout the week.

2 comments:

  1. Where are you located? My sister is in Roundrock and had a school start delay, so I am thinking you are close by. We are in the arch of the boot of Louisiana, New Iberia. WE've had a lot of rain, but some long periods of no rain so the flooding is not too bad. We have no school. I am so sad and worried about the people of Houston. This storm is a mess and will not go away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the stories and Facebook closely as well, as I have family and friends in Texas. I am glad to hear you fared through it okay. I have friends whose home accumulated 14 inches of water and they slept in their attic. And the storm seems relentless! I am always amazed at how some places get hit so hard and others, though near in proximity, experience minimal effects of wind and rain. My heart and prayers are with you and so many others as you find a way to get through this mess and stay safe. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete