Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Tuesday Slice: They're baaaaack!

"Dang it!" I muttered to myself, "Something's been eating my milkweed!"  It took a full minute for that to sink in.  "Something...is...eating...my...milkweed.  Could it be, might it be..."

I took a closer look.  Right there on the edge of a leaf, barely visible at less than a quarter inch long.  Too small to even identify.  But still I hoped...Carefully plucking the leaf from the almost-bare, frostbitten plant, I laid it carefully among some new growth in another pot.

That was Saturday.  After work last evening, I went out back to water my container plants, and decided to take a look first.  Yep, some more leaves had been eaten.  I spotted one, two...and headed inside for my camera with a macro adjustment.

The monarch caterpillars are back!  Five counted so far, big enough to identify at a half-inch.  Here's hoping my milkweed growth can keep up; I'm looking forward to hatching some butterflies this spring, if my luck holds.  I successfully launched monarchs and queens for two years, but my last efforts didn't go as well, with caterpillars dying before forming chrysalises. I'll let nature take its course as long as possible this time, and hopefully get these crawlers into a container safe from winged snackers just before they start their "J" hanging.  Until then, I'll just keep watch, and maybe buy a new milkweed plant or two to keep them satisfied.   




One of my goals this April is to spend at least fifteen minutes a day outside. I think I just found a good reason to do so--keeping track of my new backyard buddies.

8 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful goal and the photos are beautiful and all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Something is eating your milkweed! I just planted milkweed and a few other butterfly plants. I hope they will get some action. These caterpillars are like my wood duck eggs. We don't want to mess with nature, but sometimes nature is messy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! A sure sign of spring! How wonderful that you hatch butterflies. A friend of mine is a Monarch butterfly fanatic and does the same as well as educating others on these amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! Im anxious to track their progress with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilove Monarchs dating from 40 years ago when I lived near a Monarch Refuge in Santa Cruz, California before their dreaded attrition began. The trees were pendulous with clumps of monarchs hanging from their branches. When the sun shined on a clump they opened their wings and it was like something out of a fairy tale. Bless you for trying to care for them; I hope you have a successsful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you get some glorious monarchs - and I love your goal of spending at least 15 minutes outside each day. I think I should aspire to that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be a great picture book!! Take photos -document facts and details - as well as some small moments - even a poem. I can totally imaging this picture book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are amazing! I agree with Clare. These are a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete