Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Tuesday Slice: Celebrating a milestone

The dinner reception was well-attended.  Employees from multiple campuses gathered to celebrate milestones in their district careers--twenty, twenty-five, thirty, even forty years.  Many were retiring.

This is my twentieth year:  eleven spent running ARDs (IEP meetings to non-TX folks) in our DAEP, three teaching in an elementary resource setting, and now six as a librarian--a job I truly love.

The meal was delicious, and I enjoyed seeing colleagues I've known since the beginning of my employment, most from my ARD facilitating days. My registrar was also celebrating her twentieth, and my "big boss", director of library services, was there to cheer me on.  We were announced, had a photo op with our superintendent, shook hands with board members, and got a congratulatory gift.  All in all, a nice evening.

And then it was back to work.  Not a mention of the anniversary at our faculty meeting, and I thought the festivities were over.  Moving on...

Friday began with our final all-school assembly for the year.  For once, I wasn't on the agenda to present a library award, so I hung out at the back of the crowd.  We listened to guest speakers, recognized student achievements, and watched volunteers and Eagle Scouts receive awards. One of our assistant principals came to the front and asked, "Who loves books more than anyone?"  Most of our students raised their hands, which made me smile.  Then she laughed, and said, "I meant to say--which teacher on our campus loves books more than anyone?"

I was called to the front, and received praise and roses, along with our registrar.  That was lovely--but the raised hands of those readers was the highest praise of all.

Did I mention that I love my job?

5 comments:

  1. This line says it all --That was lovely--but the raised hands of those readers was the highest praise of all. Congratulations -- and you didn't need to mention it, your love comes through loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations- on the longevity in one place, the award, and the students who raised their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Chris! I can tell from reading your posts that you love your work and that you pour your heart and soul into it. Those would have brought tears of joy to my eyes. You have, you are, making such a difference. I celebrate you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on 20 years! I am 21 years and still enjoy watching and guiding our youngest readers!
    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 20, Chris! I'm so glad that the question was asked in a way that got student response, identifying themselves as ones who love books. That truly gave you the very best "award" possible.

    ReplyDelete