Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Tuesday Slice: Sub plans, Parts two & three

Last week, I wrote about having to write sub plans due to jury duty summons.  I compared teaching to other professional jobs which, to the best of my knowledge, don't have to write sub plans prior to taking a day off.  A comment was made that in some positions, you don't get paid when you miss a day; a true statement, one that makes me glad to have a salaried position that allows for jury duty without financial penalty.

But back to the need for sub plans.  If we need even more evidence that teaching is an important job, then the need for sub plans should suffice.  Making sub plans means that what we are doing for our students is important and should be continued in our absence.  Sub plans show that we value continuity and the classroom routines that allow our students to learn efficiently and safely.

If anyone questions the importance of our profession and the value of teachers...don't forget to include sub plans as part of your answer.

********************

About that jury duty...I did make it downtown, early enough to snag a free juror's parking spot across the street from the courthouse.  I worried about bringing a water bottle past security, but they waved it through.  I was greeted by a cheerful clerk sitting at the door of the courtroom, who assigned me a number and directed me to a table of clipboards with forms to fill out.  She frequently came in as more people arrived, telling us to spread out to the tables at the front and make ourselves comfortable.

As the judge entered the room, she directed the two dozen of us to arise--and the judge good-naturedly cut her off, telling us to stay seated.  Judge Thomas then proceeded with instructing us about the nature of this court (Class C infractions, no jail time, financial penalties only), the importance of not using our cell phones in the trial (we needed to be fully present and aware of all the facts being presented), and the importance of our presence.  He explained that there were a couple of cases being deliberated next door, and it was the very presence of a jury that was spurring the opposing parties to settle their cases rather than face us.

The judge left us to monitor the proceedings.  Not long after, he reappeared to let us know the cases had been settled; there would be no trials, and we would be dismissed.  Before doing so, he spoke fervently on the importance of voting, and how easily we can be disenfranchised from doing so by the misspelling of a name on our voter registration card, or changing our address.  He encouraged us to update our cards if need be, at the clerks' windows downstairs.  

My call time for duty was 1:30p.  We were dismissed by 2:15p.  I had gone to jury duty with a bit of a sour attitude, but the clerk's pleasantries and Judge Thomas' explanation of our role as jurors--even if we don't go to trial--and his passionate belief in our democratic processes lifted my spirits.  And you can bet I'll be voting in the next election.

2 comments:

  1. I have never (yet) done jury duty (mostly because I usually live outside the US, I guess). It is good to hear that it was better than you expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never done jury duty. On the dates of my past summons, I've been contracted for out-of-state work with schools which the court always deemed an excusable reason. My husband, however, has made up for that. Glad your experience was pleasant.

    ReplyDelete