Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Tuesday Slice: White rose

Early Saturday morning, just barely on time for my shift.  I walked down the postpartum hallway, door after door decorated with pink and blue flowers and streamers.  "Must have been a busy week for everyone here," I thought to myself.  Looking ahead, a police officer in black leaned against the wall to the right, the unusual detail catching my attention. He returned my nod and a quiet good morning as I veered right, taking the upward-climbing hallway that led to the NICU.

It's been busy in the NICU the last two weekends, since the Friday the 13th full moon.  I divided my three-hour shift between two babies, holding and shushing and rocking them to sleep.

Relieved of my duty by the next volunteer, I made my way back down the sloping hallway.  Coming to the intersection at the postpartum ward, I noticed the police officer was gone.

There was a single white rose, attached with blue tape to the door across from where he had stood.

A white rose, in a hallway filled with pink and blue.  I paused, said a silent prayer for the mother, for her loss, and drove home in silence.

5 comments:

  1. The ending was hard, powerful, and hard. You had me with you - hanging on every word, trying to figure out what was happening, and then the realization stopped time. Beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare. I have felt the tiniest bit like that mother--I was alone in the postpartum ward while my preemie was cared for miles away in the downtown hospital where I now volunteer. I can barely imagine how it feels to see all those pink and blue ribbons, in her situation.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a sad detail you noticed. What you are doing is hopeful though. This moment makes for a powerful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't see this one coming and it really packed a punch. That single rose. So, so sad. I've had my own experience with the NICU and with the loss that mother felt. So long ago, yet ever present. I suspect my mind will be drifting back that way more than usual today. You captured a powerful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is so moving, Chris. :(

    ReplyDelete