Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Tuesday Slice: And so it begins


Today is my first official workday for the 20-21 school year.  

Some things are the same.  Yesterday I planned my clothes for the week.  I set my alarm for three-plus-a-quarter hours before my first scheduled meeting, then hit the snooze twice.  I am grateful that our activities begin at 830a, like every starting week has been for as long as I can remember.  The dreaded 430a alarm can wait until next Monday.

I am dressed for a walk, hoping there will be time to get some fresh air after writing this Slice.  This is the same, too--reestablishing an exercise routine with the start of school.

Our first obligation is an all-hands-on-deck, all-day librarians' meeting.  That's pretty typical.  

But...instead of factoring in drive time to a district workshop or colleague's library, I'll be booting up my laptop in my study, praying it doesn't crash as my instructional tech support warned me about yesterday via text messages.

I'll be staring, once again, at tiny faces in boxes, hoping that when we separate into breakout rooms that I'll be able to participate--it didn't work the last time I tried.

I will probably find myself slipping into multitasking, popping over to my inbox to answer emails.  I'll turn off my camera to stand up and walk in place, trying to unlock the hips that can't handle more than 40 minutes of sitting at a time.

After a full day on the computer, my eyes will be tired, my brain strained from focusing on those tiny boxes and deciphering delayed, stilted conversations.  I'll miss the usual banter before speakers begin; chat boxes just don't convey the same sense of community for me. 

I get to do this all over again for the next two mornings, sitting in remote training sessions on a new-to-us LMS. I'll spend the afternoons practicing what I've learned, hoping I master enough to be a master trainer for my campus.

I'm still not fully moved in to my new library.  The library itself is still a mess from being rearranged for HVAC and electrical work.  I am worried about making relationships with staff and students from afar.  

Every new school year feels a little chaotic, but it's usually the kind of chaos that can be quantified in a to-do list, the little details that we rush about to get done before the doors open to students for the first time.  This year, the chaos seems more qualitative.  Yes, we have spaces we need to prepare, but they won't be inhabited for a month...or more?  Yes, we will have a student roster, but class lists may change depending on who opts to continue learning from home...or if we all go home, in a shutdown?  The most basic, tangible tasks have all become malleable.

It will truly be one step at a time this school year.  And on that note, there's some fresh air to be had.  Good luck to my fellow educators as we begin a year like no other, hopefully never to be repeated in our careers.

12 comments:

  1. My first day back was yesterday and we are planning to be in person/hybrid- both hard starts. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, it is a year like no other, to be sure. I hope you are able to find some sense of routine, something to anchor you!

      Delete
  2. Where I live in VA, my first day back is the 24th. Your post vividly highlights all that awaits me in a few weeks. I wish you the best school year beginning. Fingers crossed that your computer stays reliable. And no matter what, enjoy seeing the sky on your daily walks. That you can control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally! Yes, sooo much screen time. My to-do list is a mile long, but in a way, it's comforting. Going on another walk this morning!

      Delete
  3. Wishing you all the best. I am in Oregon. Our first day back is Aug 31. School should have started on Sept 8, but it has been pushed back to the 14th so we can better prep for our 100% online learning. We will be remote at least through November 13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your district is taking care to properly prepare, Adrienne; that should be some comfort. I hope you have carved out a comfortable, creative niche from which to work.

      Delete
  4. In this piece you manipulate verb tenses in a powerful way. You're writing about a slice of life in your future (later today), but because of your experience in the spring with remote learning, you are able to predict how it will go. This creates a really interesting effect for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the observation on my writing, Amy; I've gone back and reread my piece a few times through that lens, not having written it that way on purpose! It did pretty much go as I thought it would--though without the tech glitches.

      Delete
  5. Everyone is feeling odd with this new kind of chaos this year.

    Rest those eyes and keep walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all in good company, that much is sure. What's interesting is how draining doing my work on a computer seems to be, when engaging in writing and Facebook does the opposite. Creativity, even digitally, is energizing. And yes, screens off after 9p, for sure!

      Delete
  6. All the strangeness and uncertainty we're facing - nothing for it but to take a day at a time, a step at a time, as you said. I smile at the multitasking (I do it too, feeling the need to be more productive) and the standing for hips that can't take more than 40 minutes of sitting (alas, I am there, too). It is hard to start a school year without a clear vision, with so many unknowns... yet "there's some fresh air to be had." You are so right. Thank you for breathing the hope in all this, Chris, and for sending it our way. Strength and safety to you for each new day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way but through it, Fran! I am fortunate to work under great leadership. Our library services director is mindful of our time and our mental health during these meetings; the only drawback is that I always leave them with a dozen more things on my to-do list. But in a way, that's comforting, too. It's nice to have definite, quantitative tasks to accomplish. May you feel a bit more settled when your year starts up, as well.

    ReplyDelete