Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Tuesday Slice: Making a list, asking a question

I decided to use my morning page constructively today, and dedicated a part of it to making a list of thirty ideas to write about for the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. I may have tried this in the past; it will be my ninth attempt at the SOLSC, and who remembers what I tried nine years ago, though I can attest that I'm almost always a seat-of-the-pants Slicer. The idea of having a plan for my writing after so many years of just winging it almost seems constrictive; it wouldn't surprise me if I just threw out the whole list a week into March.  The comfort of knowing I don't have to wait for my Muse to whisper in my ear each day is enticing, however.

Here's the thing I struggle with, and I'm hoping you fellow Tuesday Slicers can help me out:  I wrestle with "I" writing, especially during the challenge.  I start to feel narcissistic, even when I know that this is the "Slice of LIFE" challenge, and writers write from experience.  Just looking at all the "I" statements in this post makes me cringe a bit!  The feeling makes me want to slip into third person, become the observer instead of the participant.  At the same time, I know there is power in telling one's story, and my most effective pieces, the ones that speak the most to others, are my most personal posts.

So, fellow Slicers, do you feel the same sometimes? If so, how do you work around that feeling during the SOLSC?  

6 comments:

  1. Yes- I just have to tell myself that I am writing for me, as I have no aspirations to write a book or publish in any way other than my blog. I try not to write "for an audience" so I am sure it does read as self centered... (ack, that is hard to realize). I am a total pantser too, even in the years that I have brainstormed lists of ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of creating a list of 30 things. This will be my 2nd year slicing, and I think that would be very beneficial for me, as ideas are often the hardest part. I write to help process my life, so I am grateful for the change to grapple with me, explore my feelings, observations, and reflections. We spent a lot of our time on others, maybe this is our time just for us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at as I'm presenting this memory or little moment from my day to friends. When you're talking about your experiences you have to say I. It's not narcissistic because you're re-telling a story. Anytime I read your Slices I have never once thought you were being narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m going to use “I” in my response and am feeling keenly aware of it. I read through the post (sometimes) to see where I can omit the “I.” An emphatic statement is often stronger than a qualified one. If writing about a past memory, you could step out of the present and write in third person. Mainly I do t worry about “I” centered posts. I’m also making a list of topics, but I suspect I won’t use many, which is better than saying many won’t be used by me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes. I feel selfish and egocentric. I have slowly learned to accept it. Making peace with me, myself and I. Slices are mini personal narratives and need the "I." I can write lists without using the "I." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Use I. The stories are yours. When I write from, say, Henry the dog's POV I still use I (I mean, Henry uses I! So would the chair or the sun or the grass, if they were speaking. Hmmm. That's several ideas...). If you want to change it up artistically, then do. It's YOUR challenge - your way! Also: I made a list a couple of times, and I almost always have 30-33 drafts saved; some are just thoughts or photos. I go with the flow each day, using or not using those, because each day brings its own gifts. Then again, when I'm not feeling it, I have drafts to choose from. Choices are freeing and priceless. Your posts are always rich to me.

    ReplyDelete