Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Tuesday Slice: Dance party of one


Some mornings
I turn the radio on, volume down low
Search for a station with a beat
Feet starting to move, then hips
Arms start swinging--
Moves from ancient aerobics tapes surface
(Who cares?  No one else is awake!)
Hands in the air, stretching overhead--
important for people of a certain age, so I'm told
Occasional slick shimmies from clubbing days
Conjure memories of sticky sweet machine-made fog
Carefree nights with friends...
The song trails off.  Do I have time for another?
Check the clock:  no.
This dance party ends with workday prep
Instead of a 2am run to Denny's for fries and a coke.



Three to five minute dance parties have become my mini-workout of choice most workday mornings.  Bonus mood booster if I happen upon eighties dance music.

 

4 comments:

  1. What a fun mini dance party idea. I will have to try it. As I read your piece, I had to heed this advice:
    "Hands in the air, stretching overhead--
    important for people of a certain age, so I'm told"
    I could feel the stiffness. Looks like I need some dance parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, that is advice from my massage therapist, who told me that overhead movement is one of the top complaints of aging. I think of that every time I reach up to put dishes away!

      Delete
  2. Fun slice/poem! I imagine how energetic this private dance party makes you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally counts as a dance party! Your description of "sticky sweet machine-made fog"...I can even smell it! Those were fun times, except our late night restaurant of choice was IHOP after payday, but usually Whataburger for the same, fries and a Coke.

    ReplyDelete