Thursday, January 6, 2022

Spiritual Journey Thursday: My OLW--Believe

 


Margaret Simon is leading our Spiritual Thursday this month, and has tasked us with thoughts on our One Little Word.  Her prompt post can be found here.

Like Margaret, I've been choosing a word for a yearly theme/ lens/ focus for awhile.  Some years I had to ponder for days before it came to me.  This year, it landed in my lap, literally, on the cover of my Plum Paper planner.

Believe.

It wasn't only on the planner.  It was popping up in memes on my social media, in the goal planning work I was doing, in personal growth and Spirit books I was reading.

My epiphany, written on this Epiphany, was discovering the most likely reason my yet-achieved goals haven't changed much for several years.

I didn't believe they could be accomplished.  Truly believe, deep down.  And that had to happen before the goals would be met.

Mind you, my 2022 to-do list is very mundane stuff.  Saving money, losing weight, moving my body, decluttering the house.  The problems had been around for so long that at some level, I accepted them as the status quo.  I didn't believe things could change, so they didn't.

So my focus this year is to truly believe that my goals can be accomplished.  Believe that I can do the work.  Believe that the changes will have a positive impact on my life and my family's.  Believe that at some point, this pandemic will become manageable, and we'll be able to go on a vacation without the underlying anxiety of viral spread.

It's not easy, this believing, when faced with the numbers on my scale, the piles of clutter, the nightly news.  But it will be worth it, I think.


Here's to believing in a better year ahead.


7 comments:

  1. The word Believe is getting a lot of attention with its center spot in Ted Lasso. That does not diminish its power, though. I think we all need a heavy dose of belief which is the basis of hope and love. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I look forward to seeing how your word changes you--changes me in the coming year. Happy Believing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Chris, believing is trickier than it seems on the surface. I wish you well on your journey and look forward to your insights. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the word 'believe' so much - if we truly do, so many amazing things can happen. This is so strong and hopeful - "to truly believe that my goals can be accomplished." Here's to the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe is a mighty word, Chris - literally meaning "to live by" (as in "by-live"). And I believe in the power of believing. Those goals can, and will, be accomplished - what I struggle with most is the timeline! I always want goals to be accomplished faster. Bit by bit... I will be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, believe is a powerful word. It suited me when it was my OLW and it will be the support you need to guide you. Believe in yourself and the magic that is within. Be persistent and look to faith to soften any missed steps along the way. I am sorry that it took me so long to read this but now that I have, I am filled once again for the journey of one word in SJT writers' lives. Believe that your beautiful journey will open new doors.

    ReplyDelete