Thursday, May 5, 2022

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Abundance

 

Susan has given us the prompt of "abundance" 
to explore on our spiritual journey this month.

Enough vs enough already

I inherited a shopping gene
Passed from grandmother
To mother
To me

Not really hoarding
But collecting
Bargain hunting
Treasure seeking

A lot of rationalizing, too
(If it fits and it's on sale, 
buy all the colors)

For my grandmother, 
It was jewelry

For my mother,
It was yarn and
Collectibles

For me,
It is clothes
and books
and planner stickers
and kitchen stuff
and more books...

But a house can only hold so much
There comes a time when life expectancy
Is shorter than the time it will take
To read all the books
Make all the recipes
Use all the stickers
Wear all the clothes
(enough)

And tripping on a bag handle
In the hallway, where
A bag shouldn't be
Scraping one's knees
Is really a slap on the face
(enough, already)

Waking up to what abundance
Really is, and most importantly
What it isn't.


5 comments:

  1. Chris, those last three lines have gripped me. Waking up -- it's what the journey is all about. Thank you for your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes a bit of pain to wake up, unfortunately--at least, in this case for me. Thank you for the thoughtful prompt this month, Susan!

      Delete
  2. Chris, what a fascinating and unexpected take on abundance. We are creatures of rationalization, not always realization... which your lines invite, from the lighthearted look at your DNA to the "memento mori" image of all the books, recipes, and clothes without enough remaining time for the reading, making, wearing (enough). Such deep poignance in that knowledge, especially with the books... I didn't see the bag handle coming. What a symbol for realizing what abundance is and is not, and for a perspective check on what's most important in life, and how we tend to entrap ourselves unnecessarily... all in all, so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two falls in three days because of clutter (home and work!) was a definite reminder that I certainly have enough and don't need more! I truly need to focus on what is right in front of me--I have an abundant life without adding any more material goods to it. I have gotten to the point where the stuff owns me, and that's not a good place to be. Thanks for your insight, Fran!

      Delete
  3. So good, Chris. I hope you're feeling better after your fall. I have recently been contemplating the same perspective of abundance, due to a move and having to get rid of so many possessions that were part of my previous life.

    ReplyDelete