Thursday, September 1, 2022

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Community

 

Maureen has given us the prompt of "community"
this month.  You can read her post, and
links to responses, on her Blogger site.

How big does a community have to be?  

I ask because I recently finished a middle grade fiction novel, A Kind of Spark, by Elle McNicoll.  The main character, Addie, is autistic, and finds it difficult and exhausting to relate to the people at school and in her town.  But she has an older sister, Keedie, who is also autistic; she completely understands Addie's struggles, and helps her navigate them.  They have a "particular characteristic in common" and a "feeling of fellowship" with each other--a community of two.

Does a community have to live together?

I ask because technology, particularly platforms like Facebook, have become virtual communities.  Yes, social media can falsely portray perfect lives with poreless skin and spotless homes, but my circles (and I) are getting better at sharing the foibles as well as the celebrations.  It's become the backyard chatting fence with people living on other schedules and in different time zones.

How important is community?

I would hope we would all answer this question with a resounding "oh, so very important!"  We know this from nature, like Maureen's example of the forest's root network, the trees "speaking" to one another and sustaining growth.  We know this from ancient history; our species survived and thrived because of community, as Margaret Mead pointed out when asked about the first sign of civilization.   We know this as educators, our students achieving more when there is a sense of community in the classroom, in the school--and on our IB-PYP campus, with the world.  This post wouldn't exist without the community of writers who come together once a month to explore spirituality together.

**********************************
I sometimes struggle with community, as an introvert.  There is an innate need to participate in common activities and a desire to help others...but being around others for too long, being "on",  is exhausting, becoming more so as I age.  I really appreciate my online communities, which allow me to participate at my own level and on my own time.


5 comments:

  1. I love my online communities too. They are a true source of fellowship, especially during the pandemic, but even now, I draw strength and joy from these communities. I've decided that I'm definitely an ambivert,sometimes I love being around others, yet I also crave alone time.
    This image about virtual communities is lovely: "It's become the backyard chatting fence with people living on other schedules and in different time zones."
    Community can exist with just one other person. You brought insight to today's (yesterday's) topic. Thanks for writing. I know how frenetic the beginning of a school year can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, your last lines about being an introvert and becoming exhausted by having to be "on" for too long are exactly my own experience. I am quiet by nature and find that as I grow older I can sustain only so much conversation. I am happiest at home, writing or immersing myself in nature, or just being with my family and especially my little granddaughters. I find joy and deep contentment in these things. Yet I am part of thriving church - as the pastor's wife! - and a school community...I have come to learn that the strength I gain in my quiet, contented places carries me through. I do not think communities have to be big. I just think hearts have to be big for true communities to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I adore your words, "my circles (and I) are getting better at sharing the foibles as well as the celebrations" - for me, this deeper connection sets apart certain communities of mine from others...a shift from 'acquaintances' to friendship. These communities are smaller, more intimate - my family, my friends, my book group. Thanks for taking me into a deeper place of reflection on this word 'community.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, you have given us much food for thought and wisdom on communities. I love the many facets of community you have overturned here in your post. I agree small communities are communities, and I always appreciate the depth and richness of times with small groups. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, I must apologize for being MIA with responding to my dear SJT friends. I know this group is understanding. I am know at the end of September and waiting for husband to be prepped for his hip-replacement surgery. I have learned that waiting is a must, even though it is difficult.I love to be part of a group but getting ready for my husband's surgery and handling my son's denial for SSDI as a handicapped adult has made me aware of quiet time. Your points were conveyed with ease and emotion in this post. May your September end with a faith-filled feeling and peaceful with any struggling issues. Community is key.

    ReplyDelete