Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Tuesday Slice: Always learning

 

There are days when I feel
like I have learned a lot
in my lifetime
(the natural consequence
of fifty-six years of living)

And then
 there are days when I feel
like I have so much to learn
(the natural consequence
of living with others)

When someone I think I know
reveals a new secret from their past
When a story in a book
has a lesson that's different than
what I learned in school
When a child, flesh of my flesh
speaks their own adult truth
When an important detail
about a student's life
is shared, explaining everything
When someone else's common knowledge
is not common to me
(or the other way around)
When a loved one says
"We need to talk"

The learning continues
whether I want it to
or not.

5 comments:

  1. Even though some of these lessons are immeasurably difficult, your willingness to learn them--and to not stop learning--radiates throughout this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind observation, Svalter. I do hope I never stop learning...there's just too many wonderful things out there to experience and know.

      Delete
  2. Chris, what a great post. I love all the "When..." lines. There are so many opportunities to learn. My favorite is:

    "When a story in a book
    has a lesson that's different than
    what I learned in school"

    There are so many lessons for us to unlearn and relearn, it makes me fear for this latest era of book banning (burning) going on.

    P.S. I was just reading an article about tides now that you've shattered my understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, you are wise to bring book banning into this; what an astute observation. I hope I never reach the point of refusing to unlearn!

      Delete