Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tuesday Slice: Fifty-six going on six

 

On a whim--or maybe in response to the cruddy first half of February--I bought myself a Pipsticks birthday countdown.  

I'm a paper planner person, and love using stickers in my planner for function and decoration.  These stickers are more the latter than the former.

I struggle with the concept of play in my personal life, but I think my use of stickers qualifies.  I definitely buy them to use, not collect, though I probably have more than I could exhaust in a decade.  (I tend to shop as playtime--a topic for another post.)

As of this today, I'm halfway through the countdown.  It's providing a spark of whimsical joy each morning, and retrospection too, as I fill in the short journaling prompts.  I'm cutting those out to save in a notebook as a little time capsule of fifty-six-going-on-fifty-seven.  Or six-going-on-seven, giggling over a new sheet of stickers each day. 

8 comments:

  1. Yesterday I made a card by cutting scrapbook paper into shapes. The delight I felt in doing this creative work was palpable. I think it is wonderful to take delight in the simple things. Stickers, collage paper, felt-tipped pens, and so on. It feeds our creative souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Margaret. Hoping to get some of that in soon during Spring Break!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love your post. I was just thinking as I read - "Stickers would be a great way to get kids to write. Who can resist stickers?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Joanne, that is a great idea; throw a bunch of stickers on each group table and tell them to write stories about them. Filing away for future use!

      Delete
  3. Stickers totally qualify as "play." I've thought of buying myself some Pip Stickers, but always hesitate before the final click that would take them from my virtual cart to my house.
    Have you ever read Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness by Ingrid Fetell Lee. It's a fantastic book. There's even a chapter on play. You might want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, I am always up for a good book recommendation--purchased this evening! I enjoyed Play by Stuart Brown and Christopher Vaughan a few years back; may need to revisit it, too.

      Delete
  4. You know my answer to your question. I tend to hoard them in an album, 80's style, but have recently started using them in my planner. I also like to embellish envelopes, if I can bring myself to sharing them. It's getting easier though. Pipsticks is my favorite (and you get a teacher discount!) I can't bring myself to cancel my subscription yet. 12 year old me loves getting shiny happy mail, but I have yet to order a countdown calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindred spirits, Alice! And I think you should totally treat yourself to a birthday countdown this year--the journaling prompts alone are worth it, and the stickers are a joyful bonus!

      Delete