Wednesday, March 1, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 1: Straws

 

Today is the first day of the 2023 Slice of Life Story Challenge, in which we commit to writing a post daily as well as reading and commenting on the posts of other participants.  I hadn't planned on starting my month with a post on frustration...but it was an apropos end to February, and a nudge to roll up my sleeves and tackle March with a better attitude.  Writing can be so cathartic and therapeutic!  I hope everyone can relate to this poem.

I had a day
When straw
After straw
After straw

Landed 
On my hunched
Shoulders

Furrowed
My brow

Clipped 
My words

Stole
My joy

Even a
Target run
Couldn't stop
The volcanic
Eruption from
My mouth when
I got home

Profanity 
Expressing my
Frustration

I couldn't
Sit down
Until the lava
Slowed
The flames
Doused with
A cold libation

Once again 
Conscious that
Money spent and
A glass poured 
Won't keep the
Problems at
Bay for long

Best to arm myself
With a hot
Shower and a
Good night's
Sleep and
Get the
Pitchfork ready
For tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Your words simply poured in the balance one might need to maintain when frustrated with work or life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Nf.khalid! I don't have many days like that one, thank goodness.

      Delete
  2. "Get the pitchfork ready for tomorrow." Dang! You captured everything so well, as you always do. Here's to pouring libations for better days in March and being done with the heaviness of February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Alice! And yes, March is starting off on a much better footing. I'm glad you liked the reference to the pitchfork...wasn't sure if folks would take it the wrong way (dealing with the straw vs the attack on Frankenstein's monster...).

      Delete