Thursday, March 16, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 16: Spring cleaning self-sabotage


These are some of the conversations that have been going on in my head as I attempted to do the tiniest bit of spring cleaning this past week.  

Clothes:

  • I'll look good in that with five/ten/twenty pounds gone.  And they will be gone--I've lost the weight before, I can do it again.  You don't want to have to buy a whole new wardrobe when that happens, when you have perfectly good clothes already at hand!
  • This stuff isn't trendy, it's basic.  I can totally picture myself in a complete outfit with this skirt.
  • This cardigan will go with at least two dresses and three pairs of pants.  (Never mind that the pants don't fit right now...)
  • Green is my favorite color; why would you get rid of anything green?
  • You just might land an office job after you retire from your library gig.  Those shell/ jacket combos never go out of style.
  • I know you haven't worn that cardigan in two years.  But it looks great with a black tee and pants and chunky gold jewelry...see, picturing the outfit again!
  • Remember Snowmageddon?  The ice storm?  You may need all those flannel shirts next winter, especially if the power goes out and you can't wash anything for days...
  • You'll be glad you have all this workout wear when you start seriously exercising again.  Yes, I know some of it is too small--but you will be losing that weight, remember?

Books:
  • You will read this someday.  
  • You will have time to read this someday.
  • The kids may want this book someday.
Random stuff:
  • These are really sturdy clothes tags with wooden beads...I can cover them with Mod Podge and scraps of wrapping paper and make gift tags.
  • Ooh, I can use this stretchy elastic from my new pair of shoes to restring that loose bracelet...
  • The ribbon from that package can be saved and used on a gift!
  • The plastic zippy bag from the new set of sheets can be used to store blankets...
  • This box is too pretty to throw away...save it for someone's birthday present! 
I did eventually toss six pairs of shoes and four items of clothing in the donation pile...it's a start.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! It's so easy to find value and use for everything you own! These thoughts are mine exactly! It's so hard. I have a "purgatory" bin under my bed. Things I'm not ready to get rid of I put in there and then when I clean the next time I go "ohh yeah I didn't miss that" and then I'm ready to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are singing to my choir! Oh, my goodness, I need to purge closets full of coats and clothes I will never wear again, but I'm too busy with writing and work to get to it. Maybe in May??? I have a real difficult time parting with things and especially my piles and bookcases full of books. I just bought Max's Words yesterday. Can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I chuckled at the familiarity here. Parting w/ stuff is such sweet sorrow. I was gonna say you need an intervention, but then you made a start. I’ve been trying to take a “who am I kidding? I’ll never wear this stuff again” mindset. I managed to clean one drawer this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can totally relate. The sturdy tag with beads, the stretchy elastic and ribbon, not to mention all of the great boxes all of the dang notebooks come in, lol! I can hear those conversations and imagine the outfits. My new running shoes arrived, I can safely toss the old ones. On second thought, they make good shoes for running errands. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you! I have a dress I wore to my wedding shower and my son's baptism that I plan on wearing again. Even though it is nowhere near fitting, let alone zipping, and it's been sitting in my closet for 18 years! UGH! Someday I will get it done!

    ReplyDelete