Thursday, March 2, 2023

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Words to fall back on


Karen is hosting this month, and has asked us to  
reflect on "words we fall back on" this Spiritual Journey Thursday.
Her post is here.

In difficult times, some like to say "This too shall pass."  I prefer the prayer of St Julian of Norwich, part of which is engraved on a spinner ring I bought when I had a lot of plates in the air at once:

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."

Those words give me hope, and remind me that all experience generally works out for the greater good, the Universe is on my side, "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice", as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr so eloquently stated.  (Come to think of it, that quote is a great one to fall back on, too.)

Speaking of experience, I just revisited one of my favorite quotes, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson from the poem "Ulysses":

I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!

I used to just end the quote at "when I move."  But re-reading the stanza, the next two lines speak to me now more than ever--the need to continue moving, learning, reaching for that fading margin.

The actions from our experience lead to some kind of result.  This line from Kelly Barnhill's The Girl Who Drank the Moon will just not let me go:

"Consequences.  Everything was consequences." (page 370)

For now, these are the words I'll fall back on.  That no matter what I'm going through, it will turn out okay.  That it's important to keep going, being mindful that my actions have consequences that can steer my path for better or worse.

Thanks, Karen, for the thought-provoking prompt and the hope it has sparked in my heart.
 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful words! I'm adding Julian of Norwhich's words to my journal. I listen to a wonderful podcast called, 'What's Her Name?' It's about women in history we've never heard of. Julian was featured in one episode. I'd love to visit that place where she lived and prayed. Thank you for all the inspiration today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, when we stop moving we become stagnant. I can see why those last two lines are needed. We need to keep moving ahead, learning and changing as we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow we have to cling to hope and you've given us wonderful words that do just that. It will be well, the moral arc bends to justice (but when?), and the importance of moving forward in spite of the temptation to give up and rust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julian of Norwich's words are attached to my refrigerator and have brought me comfort for years. I'm hearing an echo across many of our SJ posts this month: trust. And keep moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, all shall be well will stay with me today as I navigate through this very busy time of life. Being an impatient believer I find waiting is a difficult process but your words delivered will help.

    ReplyDelete